Grant of Probate + Banks, Building Societies

euroDilbert

Is it true that banks and building societies require the original grant of probate before releasing funds ?

I ask this because if so, then you have to wait for each one to return the grant + funds before approaching the next one.

Surely a copy would be acceptable, especially if a solicitor was dealing with the matter ?

Yes it's true, or sometimes they will accept a probate office certified copy which can be obtained from the probate office at a cost.

When my dad went to First Active with the original grant of probate - they sorted out the account there and then and handed him back the original. Probate office gave me two copies of it at no charge. Only needed the one anyways.

Ok thanks - that confirms what I thought. I also rang a few banks and they confirmed the same.

My solicitor told me that they need to contact each one individually, with the original grant, and wait for a response before going on to the next one. This sounded a bit unlikely to me. As the estate involved a number of institutions (with smallish amounts in most) this would have prolonged the process by many weeks.

ed

I don't understand your last post as I both replies confirm what your solicitor told you.

Vanilla,

you are right - my last response was confusing.
Following on from your point :
sometimes they will accept a probate office certified copy
I contacted two of them and they both confirmed that certified copies were acceptable. I would have expected that this would be normal practice. I would also have expected my solicitor to have found out, during his previous contacts with them whether or not a copy was acceptable, as obviously this could help to speed things up.

(Please bear with me - I have had to put up with a huge amount of inefficiency, unnecessary delay and appallingly bad communication in relation to this. Some of it referred to in previous posts here. The net result being that I barely trust anything he tells me now, unless confirmed elsewhere)

A sealed and certified copy will and grant costs €15.00 from the probate office. In fairness to the solicitors it wouldnt be normal to add to the cost of the estate by getting one of these for each financial institution unless there was a compelling reason- especially if some of the accounts are relatively small.

Vanilla,

another useful response, thanks.

However, my view was that by getting 1 or 2 copies he could reduce his quoted 4-6 week time period for this process to 1-2 weeks.

eD.

Back