GP Visits Cost & Tax Refund

Leper

The VHI allows us refund on payments made to our GP on the 5th and subsequent yearly visits. However, the first four claims are eaten up by the VHI "Excess" policy and I know I can submit the amounts to Revenue for a refund.

My question is:- On our 5th and subsequent claims to VHI they refund €25 on each visit to the GP. Let's say I pay the GP €65 per visit (€25 is refunded by VHI). Can I submit the remaining €40 per GP visit to Revenue for tax refund?

Yes, when you submit you receipts to revenue you declare the full amount you paid, then declare the refund you received from VHI in total for the year. Revenue do not want to know which visits gave what refund.

Yes, when you submit you receipts to revenue you declare the full amount you paid, then declare the refund you received from VHI in total for the year. Revenue do not want to know which visits gave what refund.
Thanks for that Clamball, you've made my day!

Reactions: jim
Am I missing something here? Only non-routine medical treatment is claimable against tax... I don't know how a doctor's appointment would be described as non-routine?!?

Am I missing something here? Only non-routine medical treatment is claimable against tax... I don't know how a doctor's appointment would be described as non-routine?!?
Almost everything can be claimed - Medical expenses

Use the revenue app for receipt tracker. Upload all your receipts, from doctor, consultant, tests, scans, physiotherapy, anything really that a qualified doctor says you need. The only routine stuff not covered is regular dental and eye tests. Any non necessary stuff, like cosmetic treatment, is not covered. Keep all your receipts and either upload them with the app as you go along or do it at the end of the year. Then if you have health insurance you can claim back from them first if you have any qualifying expenses. Then when you are ready to submit for revenue, they ask very simple questions. It goes something like, you have €500 of expenses do you wish to claim, Y/N, then it asks how much you got back from other sources and you just include this, say €200 and then they give you 20% back, so €60 in this example.

Don't forget all the family can be claimed for, kids up to 23 in full time education.
You can claim for all your medications - just ask you chemist for a print out at the end of the year. It will be less than €124 a month if you have a DPS, but it mounts up quickly if anyone is on a regular medicine or there is a bunch of illness. This is why it can be handy to use the same chemist all the time.
In my Laya scheme, I can claim 50% back for routine dental, which cannot be claimed back from revenue, but I am careful to remove this figure from what I tell revenue as it is outside the revenue scheme.
But I cannot claim for root canal treatment from Laya but I can from revenue - non routine dental

And you can claim for the last 4 years so get to work. I ask all the doctors dentists and physios to email me receipts nowadays, so much easier to find them.

In 2020, for our family of 4 I summitted, 6 doctor visits, 4 physio visits, prescribed medicine and 1 root canal, so in total €1350, I had already gotten back €365 from Laya, the 4 physio, the 6 doctor, and 4 routine dental visits, and I told revenue I had gotten €279 (less the refund for the routine dental) so I got €214 back from revenue. The root canal was a big ticket cost last year, but I have submitted a lot higher other years when there was lots of GP and consultant visits.

Looks Like I'm not the only person to learn something new today.

Thanks again Clamball.

Back