Got married, wife resides in IRL but has no PPS Nr. yet - Tax implications?

dsab

Hello together,

I recently got married , and my wife (non EU citizen) moved to Ireland after our wedding.

She is now living here, and waiting for the residence permit to come through. Unfortunately this can take up to 6 months. She can only get a PPS number after they issued her with the residence card.

What is the tax implication on this for me? Can we be assessed together from the day she receives the PPS number, or from the day we got officially married?

Cheers,
DSAB

Hello together,

I recently got married , and my wife (non EU citizen) moved to Ireland after our wedding.

She is now living here, and waiting for the residence permit to come through. Unfortunately this can take up to 6 months. She can only get a PPS number after they issued her with the residence card.

What is the tax implication on this for me? Can we be assessed together from the day she receives the PPS number, or from the day we got officially married?

Cheers,
DSAB

I am not sure where the 6 months wait is coming from. Is it to get paperwork to recognize the marriage. I just went into the GNIB with my wife and all the paper work and it took a few mins. Well after waiting for hour or two before hand... She was already residence here before hand, so maybe just a change in status. Anyway she needs the card to say in ireland longer than 3 months.

AFAIK the tax rules are you will be taxed jointly from the date you get married. However when I sent in my tax returns (Form 12) for the year we got married, quite clearly stating I had been married during the tax year and giving the date, we were treated as been married for the full year and refunded money. So who known....

She can only get a PPS number after they issued her with the residence card.

I don't think you are correct here. As she is married to you, surely residency isn't an issue? You should talk to your local social welfare office, who are responsible for issuing PPS numbers. You will need to bring certain forms of identification, such as her passport, copy of marriage certificate and proof of address details such as a utility bill/bank statement in her name.

Thanks for your replies.

The residence permit takes unfortunately up to 6 months as I am a EU national and not Irish. Seems there are slightly different procedures for that.

I called Revenue, and according to them we will be able to be assesed together at the end of the year if we can provide Revenue with the Marriage certificate. That should give us some money back.

Anyway...hope that it will come through soon, as she already has a job lined up, and they will be waiting for her until november.

Cheers,
DSAB

Back