Laya got laya simply connect for a couple but?

NOAH

We are a couple in mid sixties and have a simply connect plan that is a company plan. Its now due for renewing but can I get better and how do I find out if there is another company plan better and cheaper available? I also looked at simply connect plus its dearer but looks exactly the same!!

And finally if I get a sudden illness go to hospital get it diagnosed and my current plan only covers 80% can I updgrade from the bed say to a plan that gives 100% ?

Dont ask me why I dreamt up that question but irish health insurance leaves me cold.

The cost of current is 2359 pa for 2.

NOAH,

The main difference between 'Simply Connect' plan and 'Simply Connect Plus' plans relates to the amount of day to day expenses
refundable on both plans. Simply Connect has a restriction of 300 euro per year per person for everyday medical expenses,
Simply Connect Plus has a restriction of 500 euro per person per year for these expenses. These expenses include gp visits, consultant private
visits, dental, physio, also outpatient x-rays, ultrasound scans etc.

Simply Connect plan is a very good plan that ticks all the boxes, especially regarding hospital cover. Note; this plan has full cover 100% for all
public and private hospitals. So, there is no situation where 80% cover could apply with this plan.
I think you are thinking of VHI plans which have 80% cover for hip and knee replacement surgery.
Laya plans have 100% cover for this type of surgery.

The only amount you pay is the 150 excess amount if you are admitted to a private hospital for treatment or surgery or 50 euro for a day case
procedure in a private hospital.
You do not pay any excess if you are admitted to any public hospital, just the A+E charge if applicable.

An alternative plan worth considering is called 'Laya Simplicity, which would have a total day to day expenses allowance of 7650 per year per person. The first 100 is not allowed for day to day expenses.
This plan is not cheaper @ 1191pa, but similarly priced. It would also have extra private hospital cover to include full cover for a private room in a
private hospital.
[broken link removed]

Hope this helps.

Regards, Snowyb

that is very helpful and I am getting the gists of things but this bit has me confused " a total day to day expenses allowance of 7650 per year per person" what are day to day expenses?

And I just paid my new premium can I change to simplicty, new one starts 1 Nov??

First of all, yes, you can still change to Simplicity plan if you want. You have 14 days after 1st Nov 2017 to change your mind.

Day to day expenses means the likes of gp visits, dental visits, physio, consultant visits, x-rays, ultrasound scans etc.
All these medical expenses receipts can be sent in to your health insurance company for a partial refund, the amount refunded depends on
the details of your plan.
So, Simply Connect plan has a restricted amount to be refunded for these expenses, half of 600 = 300 max per person per year.
Simply Connect Plus has a restricted amount of 500 per person per year for day to day medical expenses; half of 1000 = 500.

Simplicity plan has a generous amount of 7650 per person per year to be claimed for day to day medical expenses.

Snowyb

Thanks again, my problem is I cant fathom that €7650.00 figure. How would I reach that amount Spent time on phone today with laya and tried to explain my needs. It was a struggle but a plan was quoted as €3129 as opposed to €2359 and had this 2 year wait period for existing conditions. I think it was called complete simplicity. Why would this be better?

Laya said the simply connect was better than laya simplicity!!!

They also told me that I could go to a hospital with no insurance and pay for a room direct!! Is this true and how do I find out the cost?? Is it a case of ringing the hospital. ie galway clinic, St Jons Limerick, or Galway regional? I have set aside weekend to do more research.

NOAH,

Complete Simplicity plan is too expensive and the hospital cover is the same as Simplicity plan.
The only difference is in relation to the day to day medical expenses part of the plan.
With Simplicity plan, the first 100 of day to day expenses is not allowed.
With Complete Simplicity plan the first 1 euro is not allowed.

So for example, if one person has allowable day to day expenses amounting to 800 over a year.
The refund due on Simplicity plan would be 700, as the first 100 is not allowed, in other words its deducted from the allowable total.
The refund due on Complete Simplicity would be 799, as the first 1 euro is not allowed and is deducted from the allowable total.
The refund due on Simply Connect plan would be 300, as 300 is the maximum refund allowed on this plan, regardless of the total expenses amount.

Complete Simplicity plan costs an extra 374euro per person and the only difference in the example above is an extra 100 euro refund for
day to day medical expenses. The hospital cover is identical to Simplicity plan so Complete Simplicity is not worth the price 1564 per person.

Simply Connect and Simplicity plan are very similar pricewise and hospital cover wise. Simplicity has extras like full cover for a private room in
a private hospital, which may not be that important to you. Simplicity also has a higher allowance 7650 for day to day medical expenses, again
you may not need that level of expenses, but its included if you run up a medical expenses bill. Simplicity has a max excess of 100 x 2 per year
for private hospital admissions, the max excess on Simply Connect is 2 x 150 per year.

I would disagree with the opinion that Simply Connect is better than Simplicity.
I think they are very similar plans and Simplicity has extras included.
I think Complete Simplicity is not good value for money.

[broken link removed]

Regarding a 2 year waiting time, if you switch to a similar plan there is no waiting to serve.

Any person can pay for surgery if they have no health insurance. Depending on the type of surgery, these costs can run into thousands.
For example, a hip replacement can cost 15,000 in a private hospital.
Health insurance is well worth the 25 approx per week, which covers all these eventualities, especially as you get older.

Regards, Snowyb

As a matter of interest my Dad's hip surgery bill was around 40k (didn't go smoothly!) about 10 yrs ago, was covered by insurance though thankfully.

Jsut as a follow up I am opting for simplicity but when I rang I was immediately hit with " You will have a 2 year waiting period for a pre existing condition etc" If say I go for a hip injection and then later for a hip replacement is that a pre existing condition and I will not get private room??

On another note a friend has a policy with VHI called
HealthPlus Extra (Plan B Options) but when looked at with simplicity it seems very expensive, €2,535.35 as opposed to 1190!! What has it got that I am missing??

If you have any illnesses or existing conditions at the moment, and you are admitted for surgery for these illnesses to a private or hi-tech hospital,
you would still be entitled to full cover for a shared room in a private/hi-tech hospital. The 2 year wait would be for a single occupancy room in a
private or hi-tech hospital. Surgery or treatment is fully covered, no waiting applies.
If you are admitted with a new illness or condition, treatment or surgery is fully covered in a private/hi-tech hospital and there is no waiting for
a single occupancy room if available.

Regarding Plan B Options, for public or private hospitals there is practically no difference in cover, but Simplicity has full cover for a private
room in a private hospital included. Plan B Options has cover for a semi-private(shared room) in a private hospital.

In relation to hi-tech hospital cover, on Simplicity plan both cardiac and orthopaedic surgery are fully covered, no excess or no shortfall applies.
For other surgeries and treatment, there is an excess of 100 x 2 admissions max per year, there is also a shortfall of 175 per night. However,
in my personal experience, this shortfall of 175 per night is not charged by the hi-tech hospital, so in effect there is full cover.
On Plan B Options, according to previous discussions on this forum, there is a list of special procedures fully covered on this plan - this list is not
published by VHI. Since November 1, 2017 there are improved changes made to day to day medical expenses cover, so it is now fairly similar to
Simplicity plan in that regard. This was not the case before that date.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back