Googlemaps street name wrong

Fisherman

Googlemaps incorrectly named our road in 2014. I have been trying on and off since then to get Google to delete the road name . I have repeatedly sent notifications via 'feedback' in the dropdown menue. Each time I get an e-mail acknowledgement saying my note will be attended to, but nothing ever happens. Am I going the wright way about this..... anybody
have any experience of this....

I have 3 times contacted Google about an error in Google Maps ,and all 3 times they have altered the map and emailed me back.

Vanman, how did u go about contacting them?
I'd like to know that too. When I try on Google Maps it asks me to sign into my Google account. Does that mean people without a Google account can't send feedback and correct their mistakes?!

I'd like to know that too. When I try on Google Maps it asks me to sign into my Google account. Does that mean people without a Google account can't send feedback and correct their mistakes?!

Pretty much yes. They want to know something about you, and use the google account to send feedback etc. Not unreasonable for a business to ask for your details.

also, it isn't always "their" mistakes. They buy / use 3rd party data.

Pretty much yes. They want to know something about you, and use the google account to send feedback etc. Not unreasonable for a business to ask for your details.

also, it isn't always "their" mistakes. They buy / use 3rd party data.
The map linked off Ordnance Survey Ireland is correct. Maybe they should buy better data.

The map linked off Ordnance Survey Ireland is correct. Maybe they should buy better data.

Well, Google maps is kinda free whereby OSi data isn't as such, so I would not get too upset about the odd data quality issue.
I am not sure if Google uses OSi base data to be honest, but if I remember correctly Google usually uses the openstreetmap stuff (and contributes quite a bit to it as well).

EDIT: Google doesn't seem to use openstreetmap data.

Google seems to use OSi data in Ireland and GeoDirectory. I have to say that GeoDirectory is not great in some areas in my experience though.
see: http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/legalnotices_maps.html

1. Ireland
    • © An Post GeoDirectory Limited 2012

• This Service includes mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey Ireland. © Ordnance Survey Ireland year 2009. All rights reserved. Licence number AND09/09v1.0.

Last edited:
Well, Google maps is kinda free whereby OSi data isn't as such, so I would not get too upset about the odd data quality issue.
I am not sure if Google uses OSi base data to be honest, but if I remember correctly Google usually uses the openstreetmap stuff (and contributes quite a bit to it as well).

EDIT: Google doesn't seem to use openstreetmap data.

Google seems to use OSi data in Ireland and GeoDirectory. I have to say that GeoDirectory is not great in some areas in my experience though.
see: http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/legalnotices_maps.html

1. Ireland
    • © An Post GeoDirectory Limited 2012

• This Service includes mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey Ireland. © Ordnance Survey Ireland year 2009. All rights reserved. Licence number AND09/09v1.0.
So Google use OSI data but Google is incorrect and OSI is correct... strange.

On one Street, it was one way for about five years and Google did not fix the issue.

Within a month of making the required change on Open Street Map, the change was picked up by Google. It only took a few minutes.

I've mailed Google twice as the business name where I work is incorrect, as is the street name.
So far they have not corrected the error.

Google eventually removed the incorrect name on our small road. They didn't give any notice of having done it. I just checked one day and noticed it had been done. It wasn't googles fault that it was incorrectly names. Apparently a neighbour ( who is permanently on watch) was asked by the car-camera crew what was the road name. As the road isn't named, only the area, the neighbour gave them what he thought it should be called. He didn't
know the name he gave was the name of a road about 2 miles away.. He caused havoc with van/courier deliveries.

I've tried to correct many road names and add places on google and found they will not accept this when in close proximity to something that's already on their map - but will allow the addition only in an "empty" unnamed placed further away, but then its not actually where the correct address is. its very strange.

I've tried to correct many road names and add places on google and found they will not accept this when in close proximity to something that's already on their map - but will allow the addition only in an "empty" unnamed placed further away, but then its not actually where the correct address is. its very strange.

Perhaps get some other users to submit the same update requests? I've only ever submitted one update, and that was approved within days.

Back