Good talk last night by Irish Skeptics Society

Re: Huh?

Marie - I assume that you are being serious in these posts and that this is not a wind-up?

I know people who were consciously and subconsciously looking forward to getting married and accidents happened to them. They got married and accidents continued to happen. This is randomness and coincidence. There is no need to look for some complex explanation.

You are saying, more or less, that if you have an accident during your engagement, it's your subconscious telling you not to get married? I am glad that people are not taking this stuff seriously or there would be a lot more broken engagements.

Clumsy or drunk people knock over plants. They do it when they are pleased with the meal or displeased with the meal.

Some houses and rooms are bright and airy - others are dark and dingy. I think it's only natural to feel better in bright open places.

I don't know enough about the pharmaceutical industry to comment on your story. And I am sure that there are drug companies who fiddle the research. And I am sure that some good drugs have negative side effects. And I doubt if there is a magic bullet which will cure all psychiatric problems. But it's very difficult to get drugs approved by the authorities in America or Europe without huge research into their safety and effectiveness. Maybe I am not sceptical enough, but I imagine that most of these drugs are effective a good proportion of the time.

Brendan

Damn. I have just spilled a cup of coffee on my keyboard. Maybe I don't really believe in what I am posting?

heinbloed

An analysis is not a treatment.Giving a (psychotic)patient
pharmaceuticals without (psycho)analysis is a crime.The doctor doing so would -at least-been struck off the register.A psychoanalyst is not a psychotherapist.

Heinbloed,

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Every mental health profession 'analyses' from it's own perspective; the doctor calls it diagnosing, the nurse will implement the nursing process, the OT will do her own evaluation, the psychiatric social worker does hers, and the psychologist will 'analyse' from their cognitive-behavioural perspective or their Jungian perspective or whatever model they beleive in. Thus everyone has ''analysed" the patient. Most are not psychoanalysts though.

But Psychoanalysis = Freudian or one of his derivitives.

BB, I'm agreeing with you. Sorry if not clear!

Marie, I don't see how a pharmaceutical company hiding research results goes against Evidence Based Medicine. EBM is the best bet we have against treatment which may be useless and could be harmful, treatment which is NOT based on research and just on 'anecdotal evidence' - in short, Western medicine prior to WW1. Bleeding people with leeches apparantly had very good anecdotal support. I watched a DVD last night from the Rael cult, which dismissed the theory of Evolution in one sentence, on much the same sort of grounds.

Huh?

> I'm not with you, Unregistered! Which events "never happened in the first place"?

That is not a direct quote from my post so I don't know what you're referring to.

> Anyway Unregistered, I look forward to hearing your ideas on the "more rational means" through which poltergeist-type phenomena can be explained/made sense of

Rather than repeat what's already been posted I would go along with what Brendan has posted on this matter.

As I have alread said I believe, and have first hand experience, in both drug and talk therapis and how they can help with mental health problems even if the reasons are not completely understood (e.g. it's not fully understood exactly why drug based control of neuro-trasmitters such as serotonin or norepinephrine and/or talk therapy with a suitably qualified and empathetic counsellor can help with depression and related mental health issues even if they do yield positive results in many cases etc.). This lack of clarity concerns me but, given that this form of treatment seems to be the best that we have at the moment I have to accept that it can yield positive results in many cases. However I am pretty sure that stuff like poltergeist like activity, telekinesis etc. have more rational explanations than "mind over matter".

Some of the other experiences that you mention could also be explained more rationally by people having a death (for themselves or some idea or plan) wish and subconsciously fulfilling this (e.g. the unpappy fiancée subsciously causing self harm to get out of the impending marriage?) rather than some other hocus pocus or deus ex machina taking over.

Of course, a cynic (or maybe a skeptic?) might ask if taking first hand accounts from people who are seeking psychoanalysis in the first place is a good way to obtain reliable acocunts of events. After all surely the possibility of even mild psychosis cannot be ruled out which would render such accounts unreliable. Don't forget that the fundamental problem with a lot of mental health illnesses is that the individual does not perceive the his/her situation accurately.

science scepticism and belief

Perhaps the fact is that the term scepticism is being used in the sense of acceptance that what is perceived and the consensual agreement on what is perceived "is" and "is all". This usage would cover the "reason" and the perceptions with which the Trobriand islander of Malinowski's day propitiated the spirits before setting off on a fishing trip to ensure fair weather, as well as the gusto with which Westerners gulp down pharmaceuticals to ward off or diminish illness and death.

It was and is an aside - NOT the main point of my mailing which deals with scepticism and belief - that many widely-used medicines have very limited effectiveness and/or have deleterious side-effects. This information is widely available from reportage in the quality broadsheets to a couple of thousand contemporary published books (e.g. check Amazon titles).

My intention was to remark on the power of the human mind and the role of belief, desire and emotion in affecting what is often taken to be "factual-out-there-science (some purported reality)". "Reality" is itself a socio-political construct. Familiarity with the history of the philosophy of science reveals science to be infused with politics and propaganda (as with all human endeavour). Belief in science is in some quarters regarded as constituting a new contemporary religion insofar as science and its processes are insufficiently scrutinised.

I have no idea why the two women experienced similar series of accidents which co-incided with their engagements and the vignette was offered as a very lighthearted allusion to the operation of unconscious or repressed feelings which might be at variance with more socially acceptable, expressed positions which are equally valid. Only they (and their analysts!) could confirm, but my point is that in terms of the sceptics' criteria this is inadmissable evidence!

I myself am a scientist (not a sceptic and not a believer). It is a perspective of openness to explore possibilities and to "change my mind" when my present knowledge proves inadequate to match events.

Y'all take care now! :rupert

> Belief in science is in some quarters regarded as constituting a new contemporary religion insofar as science and its processes are insufficiently scrutinised.

This is a common cudgel with which to beat and dismiss those who look to science for rational explanations of all phenomena and simply detracts from the main issue in hand. If you read the article I posted earlier you will see how science and religion are completely different in terms of how their fundamental belief systems are constructed. That article will also show you how in science "reality" is not simply a "socio-political construct" but something that can be predicted and analysed objectively.

common cudgel or contemporary wisdom?

Unregistered User - I have no issue with those who look to science for rational knowledge. Object, instrumental science is an excellent tool for gaining knowledge of the world around us and making it safer and more predictable. That can result - optimally - in actions and behaviours and a mind-frame which is conducive to contented living in harmony with others and the planet.

Perhaps physics is the fulcrum case. Newtonian physics was replaced by Einstein's insights which are now superceeded by chaos-theory and cladistics. This does not mean Newton was "wrong", nor Einstein. However it also does not mean "we're done". By its nature science (including sub-atomic physics of the kind which can be now empirically studied) keeps moving forward incrementally towards finer approximations to "truth". Not, "The Truth (which I don't "believe" in, as a scientist!) but "truth" with a small "t".

When one moves over to consider the human mind, psychology, behaviour and relations I think the same tools are perhaps not applicable nor is there the same potential for measurement, replicability and verifiability. When it comes to study of ourselves (under which study I suggest we could place "parapsychology") the terms have to change. We are not geological strata; our experience and behaviour does not conform to natural laws guiding planetary orbit or tensile strength of metals. The tools for knowledge of the human subject BY the human subject must perforce have a place for subjectivity, no?

Anyway this particular subjective scientist is heading for the garden with a glass of chilled wine and the draft of my doctorate. ;)

Re: common cudgel or contemporary wisdom?

Marie

It is much more difficult to study human behaviour scientifically than it is to study physics scientifically. But because of the potential for subjectivity, it is even more important to study it scientifically rather than subjectively.

I think the three or four founders of the Irish Skeptics Society are psychologists. They seem to apply a very scientific, critical thinking to their work.

Brendan

rigorous science

Brendan - Chris French's (and the other three clinical psychologists comprising the Skeptics Society) perspective is, as you say, that so-called paranormal phenomena are rubbish........in fact ANYTHING which does not conform to the ubiquitous bell-curve, or cannot be approached by way of randomised controlled trial with at least three laboratory-conducted conditions, is "unprovable and unscientific".

They are welcome to it. Rigid certainty is the choice of many who don't wish to be unduly disturbed by having to really take on board what goes on both psychologically within the individual and in individual/group relations. I fear that Skepticism shuts people off from the surprise, delight, dialogue and discovery which comes from regard for the demanding complexity and diversity of our psycho-social relationships, as I have indicated in previous posts.

rigorous science 2

The issue of rigour in the behavioural sciences involves the status of the observer. In instrumental objective "science" the observer is not involved. However where man is an object of contemplation and scrutiny observed and observer are synonymous. If the Skeptics wish to insert the criteria of instrumental science into the midst of the research then one "part" of the experiment (the human subject) is split from the other "part" of the experiment (the human qua object). The problem all started with Plato and deepened with Descartes so we're still struggling with it.

Irish Skeptics Society

As a founder member of the Irish Skeptics Society I am delighted to see this discussion appear on your site. I have just flashed through the posts and will give it more time later, but I will offer a number of comments on issues raised so far. To get an overview as to why we set up and an outline of our position on science please visit our website at www.irishskeptics.net.

Working backwards from the last posting by Marie on rigorous science: It is not our position to rubbish any position but to ask questions as to the veracity of claims. Yes, we seek objective answers in so far as these can be obtained. Skeptics generally take a materialist position, expecting that our clearest understanding of the natural world will emerge through the application of scientific method. If something cannot be "measured" scientifically, eg. the existence of fairies, then it does not fall into the scientific domain. We cannot prove the nonexistence of fairies. The onus of proof is on the person making the claim.

This does not mean, however that we cannot usefully explore and understand the fact that people can believe in and even "see" such fantastic beings. Clearer understanding of such experiences will emerge from areas such as psychology, sociology and neuroscience, not from more esoteric investigations. We are biological entities and are best explored and understood as such.

With regard to the practice of science, the scientist is always involved in experimentation, as designer of questions, interpreter of results and so on. The notion of a pure instrumental science is a naive one. Techniques such as the use of double blind procedures are used for the very reason that the serious susceptibility of all of us to misguided interpretation, self-deceit etc. might be controlled for.

Science is a human enterprise and has a history of bad and bogus practises. However, this is clearly acknowledged and strenuous efforts are made to tackle these issues and to minimise the errors that scientists (often unintentionally and honestly) commit. It does of course have its charlatans.

Skepticism does not in my view "shut people off from the surprise, delight, dialogue and discovery which comes from the demanding complexity and diversity of our psycho social relationships", nor indeed from delighting in the vast wonders of the universe. These are the very things that drive skeptics and scientists in their explorations of the natural world of which we are all a part. Our meetings are set up to provide an open, public forum to promote constructive discussion and dialogue.

Marie mentions that Newton was not wrong in his theories even though they were later superceded by Einstein's work. This is true with regard to Newton's equations of motion for example, but is certainly not true with regard to Newton's ideas on alchemy. In this he was wrong. What dictates the accuracy or truth of the first and not the second is data. All theories stand or fall on the data. If the data is strong, or indeed overwhelming, there is no choice for the scientist but to accept it or perish (academically that is!). The data is so strong for evolutionary theory that even the current Pope, arch conservative as he is, accepts the "fact" of evolution.

The term fact here, as always in science, is used tentatively. Similarly to the fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, it would be nullified if the events predicted by the theory were not to occur.

A crucial idea in science is that of parsimony. When faced with a range of possible explanations for an observation, choose the one which requires the least number of assumptions. If a ball goes missing from my back yard and one neighbour claims the children next door hopped over the wall and borrowed it, while another neighbour claims the fairies whisked it away, the more rational choice is the former.

In seeking data for either story, a photo of the children in the garden would go a long way towards convincing me. A photo of fairies in the garden would not. Skeptics quite appropriately, do not assign equal validity to all evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Accident, coincidence, diverted attention due to stress etc. are all more likely explanations of the higher accident rates in the engaged people previously mentioned by Marie. Collective unconscious, unconscious anger, mind over matter etc. constitute extraordinary claims and minimal, if any evidence exists for their veracity. I have a similar view with regard to poltergeist and other "ghostly" experiences.

XXXAnotherpersonXXX asked what the default position of skeptics is. He referred to the idea of a flat earth as an example. The role of the skeptic is always to ask more questions. How do we know the earth is flat? How do we explain the curvature of the earth's shadow on the sun during an eclipse? etc. Again, the flat earth idea was wrong and was eliminated (almost at any rate) by the power of the evidence. The earth was in reality round, even when people thought it to be flat. It just took time to work it out. This is an important point as some people do not believe in an external physical reality at all. This is a fundamental assumption in science.

"Slaphappy", under "oops" asked if we ever have guest performers trying to move things with their minds etc. We are trying to put together a package to bring James Randi over here in the future. I'm sure he could demonstrate some interesting phenomena.

Bridget referred to an experiment under a posting on contagiousness of emotion. It was not quite as simple as she outlined. It was conducted in the early sixties by Schacter and Singer and involved the injection of adrenaline into subjects. Their interpretation of their heightened physiological arousal was affected by the mood of those placed close to them. This illustrated the significance of social cues to individuals in figuring out the causes of heightened emotion.

I apologise for the rambling nature of this post and I'll try to be more succinct in future.

As Marie has contributed significantly and is involved in psychology I should clarify comments made by Brendan. The ISS was set up by four clinical psychologists. We all subscribe to a scientific view of psychology. We all adhere to a cognitive behavioural model, which despite its significant limitations, is, in our view, the best model we have at present within the profession. It has the strongest evidence base and is likely to be the most productive approach for the foreseeable future in clinical psychology practice.

We see psychology as a science dealing with incredibly complex material. As Brendan mentioned in a previous post, this is all the more reason for caution and for careful scientific investigation and a parsimonious approach is advisable.

With regard to Jung and his ideas may I recommend as an excellent critical commentary, The Aryan Christ by Richard Noll which was published in 1997 and is available through amazon.co.uk.

Lastly, with regard to Marie's initial post re:Chris French. His position as I understand it remains as she describes. He is open to the idea that paranormal phenomena may exist, but to date (after about two hundred years of investigation) there is no evidence to support the position. Most and in my view probably all paranormal phenomena will indeed be explained in the language of science. ie utilising physics, biology, psychology etc.

Irish Skeptics Society

That's a thrilling post, Paul O! I'm overcommited so can't do it justice by responding just now, and I'm in Germany at a conference from Sunday till 22nd but really look forward to picking up and contributing on my return.

Irish Skeptics Society

Thanks for the compliment Marie. Enjoy the conference and have fun in Germany. I look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

skiptics soc

What is their real agenda?
Can anyone join?
Is there a secret cadre within it?
The truth is out there, Mulder

skiptics soc

> What is their real agenda?

Surely you mean "what is their real agendum" or else "what are their real agenda"? :p

> The truth is out there, Mulder

Indeed:

Irish Skeptics Society

For those who are interested in finding out more about the Irish Skeptics Society, the next lecture will take place on Thursday next, June 24th, in the Gandon Suite of the Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

Professor Robert Todd Carroll who is visiting from Sacramento, will evaluate the Scientific Evidence for the Paranormal. Admission is €2 for members and €5 for non-members, to defray costs.

Prof. Carroll is the author of The Skeptics Dictionary and runs the website of the same name at www.skepdic.com.

Back