Case study Good salary but two big mortgages

whatnottodo

Its only money!

Weve been through 4 years of scrimping through life, worried about money, not being able to this and that and cutting back. We are basically putting ourselves into a poverty trap, I am sick of it and I really dont know what to do anymore.....

Me, full time public sector 52k gross, her part time 12k net per annum.

debts:
home mortgage 367k over 40 yrs in 2007, approx 17k arrears
investment property bought 2003 @205k, 170k mortgage left over 23yrs, 5k arrears, 650 euro rent being recieved.
top up loan 23k, currently paying interest only 30pm, going nowhere
credit union loan 31k, 600pm taking directly out of wages
1500euro owed to management fees....

currently paying rental property mortgage in full, 995 pm, while interest only on top up, and paying nothing on home mortgage(i know), we have no savings and have cut back on spending, ie no paid tv, no internet, lack of household upkeep, lack of personal memberships, no kids clubs(very important to mention we have 3 kids), 5yrs,4yrs and 1yr old, so school fees etc etc, Iv just pulled this info from the top of my head at the moment I can get exact specifics if needed..... sad to say our lives have nearly been ruined a few times when the stress gets out of hand, weve nearly split up (not married).
any any suggestions please

We've had a few financial experts in our workplace recently to give staff some advice and all of them have said pay your family home first and let the rest wait, if you can't pay you can't pay. Don't kill yourself, put food on the table pay the heating,gas, electricity etc. and whatever is left come to an arrangement with your creditors.
If they don't like it, tell them they are getting nothing, if they repossess your investment property is it the end of the world ? NO

Back