Good reasonable mechanic needed

N

NoSparks

Hi,
I've just been quoted 600 euro to have a head gasket fited to my Peugeot 306. I think is is an outrageous price OR is it? When I questioned my mechanic he says he can't do the work himself at present as he's too busy but he contacted another mechanic who will do the job BUT this is his price. Not sure if he hiked it up because I need the car urgently for work.
anyone know what sort of money is normally charged for this sort of work. i'm told it involves one day's work.
Wish I was a mechanic and able to earn 600 a day.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm living in the North Dublin area.

Re: Try.....

I had a similar problem with a River 400 about 4 years ago. The problem was inherent with the Rovers so I made sure that I was not charged for it, even though the car was out of warranty. The cost would have been €800 so the €600 you were quoted does not seem too bad. But how old is your car? If is is new-ish, low mileage or just out of warranty I would bring it back to a main dealer.

These links may be useful to you :
www.carsurvey.org/viewcom...25438.html
[broken link removed]

600 to much ?

Dunno,

'suppose it all adds up .....

VAT 70 odd

Head skim ( I presume - otherwise is it going to go again ? ) 100 ???

Parts : head gasket, new head bolts (?) new timing belt & tensioner ( may as well while doing the work ) & coolant ( down to brass tacks at this stage ) 200 ?

Labour : 230 ( i.e. whats left out of 600 )

If its a good job well done then 600 may not be OTT

Be Lucky

eDog

<edit> I'm not in the trade so dont believe my ramblings above

Good mechanic

Thanks all for your contribution.

Just to say I have already bought the head gasket and have been told the belt does not need changing so no charge in these areas.

Would like the name of your "gem" mechanic - if you don't mind. couldn't find any on motornet.ie

Thanks anyway.

Gem of a mechanic.......

I don't think my guy would suit you. He's very much an Alfa man.

Register on www.motornet.ie and start a thread on "The Main Road". The place is full of car geeks and mechanics. Explain what the problem is and if you don't get a good answer within minutes I'll be stunned.

Gem of a mechanic.

Thanks folks, have been recommended a guy who looks after Peugeots so I've given it to him tonight. I'll let you know how I get on.

Alfa Man......

Guy called Gerry Campbell of TI Autos in Stoneybatter. (01-8386567). He has a few Alfas there that are 30 years old. Most people can't keep Alfas going 3 years let alone 30.

The following thread shows are number of people that recommend him.

[broken link removed]

Back