Good plan for an elderly person

music

Dear SnowyB and others,

I wonder if you could advise. I am trying to figure out a new lower cost health plan for my elderly widowed mother, in her 80s. She has been on the Teachers Plan I think for years. Every year the VHI keep sending in the plan and taking the premium without much ado.
My mother does not use the internet and is (like most of us) overwhelmed by the plethora of plans and options. I have tried to speak to the VHI myself to ascertain a better plan but they refuse to speak to anyone other than the policyholder, unless having received prior written confirmation that another trusted family member person can speak about her details.

My mother is in good health generally but getting frailer. She would attend her GP a few times a year. She has had some eye operations in the past. She has also attended a private clinic for some heart tests, thankfully nothing troublesome was found. She does not live in Dublin but can travel to hospitals there if needed.
I am sure there are better plans offering the same options for much less money.
However I am wary of the two year upgrade rule. Does this apply even if she were to move to a plan with better conditions.
Her renewal date is in January.
Could you please offer some advice? It would be very appreciated.

music,

If she wants to stay with VHI, the following new VHI plan is worth considering, details as follows;
1. VHI PMI 01 10; price 1588pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess to pay on admission or day case.
Similar cover as before with Teachers plan.
There is good day to day cover on this plan - refund of 70 per consultant visit, 35 per gp visit, etc.
There will be a six month waiting time applied just to this day to day cover as it was not included on Teachers plan.

[broken link removed]

There is NO upgrade waiting time to serve for any hospital cover as it is switching to a similar plan to Teachers.
NOTE; there is 80% cover for orthopaedic surgery - hip and knee replacement surgery- on both plans including Teachers plan.
The shortfall amount in a private hospital would be 2 - 3k.
However, this shortfall amount is waived(not charged to the patient) in the Blackrock Clinic, Dublin.
Just something to be aware of, for future reference.

Laya plans fully cover this type of orthopaedic surgery in all private and hi-tech hospitals.
The following Laya plans are worth considering;

1. Simply Connect Plus; price 1250pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 x 1 max per year for admission.
50 excess per day case procedure in private or hi-tech hospitals. No excess applies to any public hospital.
Good day to day cover on this plan - 50% refund for consultant, gp, physio visits etc.
NOTE; There is no waiting time to serve for day to day cover regardless of your age with Laya.

2. Simplicity Plan; price 1191pa; all public, private(including a private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private excess 100 x 2 max
per year for private/hi-tech admissions. Day case excess 50 per visit. Day to day cover included - the first 100 not allowed.
No waiting applies for the day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps with decision making.

Regards, Snowyb

My parents are in a similar situation - late 70s/early 80s. They are on HealthPlus Extra coming in at over 5K for both for the year. I would love to save them 2K by moving to this plan.
The only major difference I can see between their current plan and VHI PMI 01 10 is 0% cover for In-patient FPPs level 2 versus Full cover. It appears to be difficult to get a list of what these are on google. Anyone know? We have 3 medical people in the family so if we had a list we could make an informed decision as to whether it would be a risk worth taking based on history.
Hips and knees have already been done! Would have to travel some distance to any Private Hospital.
Thanks
Tommygirl

tommygirl,

Yes, FPPs level 2 is the only difference apart from the 80% orthopaedic cover which you say has already been done in your parents case.
The procedure involved under FPPs level 2 is called a TAVI procedure. It is heart valve replacement surgery by keyhole but only if normal
open heart surgery is not suitable due to age, other health complications etc. VHI apply strict criteria to this, the consultant has to verify
reasons why it is necessary. It is not guaranteed just because its covered on your health insurance plan.

This type of surgery is covered on Laya Simplicity plan; price 1191pa.
VHI don't include this surgery on most plans, just a very limited selection.

If they are not inclined to use private hospitals, well then they are way over insured, price wise, to say the least.
Plans starting at 1100pa VHI PMI 44 16, or PMI 43 16 price 1171pa or PMI 01 10 price 1588pa are all well worth considering if they want to
stay with VHI.

Laya plans Simplicity, Simply Connect or Simply Connect Plus are also well worth considering also.

Regards, Snowyb

Dear SnowyB,
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. How do you know so much. You are completely amazing!
Many thanks again

Hi,
Some great advice on this thread, thanks SnowyB.
My folks are in their early 70's and are looking to get a better deal. They are on VHI HealthPlus Access (Plan B) and are paying nearly €4k per year. They have GP cards so that part is covered. I checked some of the VHI PMI plans listed above and there seems to be very subtle differences. At the moment they have to spend a certain excess before they can claim for anything. Also, am I correct in saying that they won't have any waiting period if they change plan?
Can you advise a good plan for them?
Thanks!

dino,

Yes, you are correct in saying that they won't have any waiting period for hospital cover if they change plan.

Quick question, when is their renewal date?

Snowyb

Hi SnowyB,
Sorry I was offline for a few days. That's good to hear that they won't have a waiting period.
Their renewal date is 22nd of March.
Thanks,
D

dino,

The following 2 VHI plans are equivalent regarding hospital cover, the only difference is that there is an excess to pay if admitted to a
private or hi-tech hospital for a stay or day case. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Note; the HIA website prices have not updated correctly yet from 1 March 2018, correct prices on the following link.
https://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-healthcare-price-and-benefit-changes-01032018-02032018

1. HealthPlus Excess; price 1755pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 75 per admission to a private/hi-tech
hospital or a day case. Same hospital cover as before, just with an excess to pay per admission or per day case.

2. Health Access; price 1627pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 125 per admission to a private/hi-tech
hospital or a day case. Same hospital cover as before, just with an excess of 125 to pay per admission or per day case.

[broken link removed]

The above 2 plans have full cover for orthopaedic surgery (hip and knee replacement surgery) in both private and hi-tech hospitals.
Cheaper plans with VHI have 80% cover for this type of surgery in private/hi-tech hospitals. This 20% shortfall could amount to 2k-3k.
The hi-tech hospital Blackrock Clinic don't pass this shortfall charge onto the patient, but other private hospitals would charge the patient.

3. PMI 44 16; price 1102pa; all public, private(incl private room), and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 150 per admission or
day case. 80% orthopaedic cover in private/hi-tech hospitals.

4. PMI 37 13; price 1103pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 100 per admission or per day case.
80% orthopaedic cover in private or hi-tech hospitals.

[broken link removed]

If other providers are an option, Laya plans fully cover orthopaedic surgery in all private/hi-tech hospitals.

5. Simplicity plan; price 1191pa; all public, private(incl private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 100 x 2 max per year,
day to day cover included - the first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Just to let you know that on the advice of Snowyb I managed to convince my parents to switch from VHI (first time in their lives) and moved onto Laya Simplicity. It does seem to be a superior plan resulting in significant savings for them.
As said by Music above - thanks so much for all your advice Snowyb.

Back