going to the dogs

K

kiwijbob

I'm off to Shelborne park over the weekend, now I'm a bit green to the auld betting lark so I'm wondering if it's better to bet down at track-side or inside at the booths? any race tips going?????

From reading your short post I'd imagine you would be better sticking to the Tote booths inside.

Yes - You get a form book on your way in and they will explain what you need to ask for when placing your bets. Most people who go are novice and the staff will sort you out as long as you don't wait until just before the race to place your bets as that's their busy time.

Forget about all the triples, forcasts etc for your first visit.
Pick a number between 1 and 6 that you think has a chance.
Go to the Tote window (Not the bookies at trackside) tell them the number you want to bet on and the amount, and hey presto. Eg. €2 on 4 to win.

It's simple, and a very good laugh.

-Rd

dogs

went over the weekend & had a great time (nice view from the stands).

I picked 4 winners out of 10 races, first came in at 9/1! and that set me up for the night. Spent all the winnings (250E over the whone night) back at the tote, I left with that same amount that I arrived with in the sky rocket!

will visit again.

Re: dogs

Has anybody noticed the number of children betting on the Tote at Shelbourne Park, Harold's Cross or the Horse races for that matter?
I was under the impression that you had to be over either 16 or 18 to bet with the Tote.
Some of these kids are no more then 12!

kids

I actually asked about that, I got chatting to one of the mums and it seems that they're all freinds of staff at the cash desk who get their kids in for free.

Re: kids

It never occured to me.

I was just glad they weren't outside robbing the wheels off my car.

You see pleanty of kids walking dogs out to the track and looking after them, so why not let them bet?

I'm a firm believer in introducing kids to vices like Gambling, Drinking etc at a young age in the presence of their parents, so they learn how to use it responsibly, rather than giving the vice a mistique by sheilding them from it until they are 18 and then letting them do what they want with no supervision.

-Rd

Kids

Dobbins are now doing the food in Shelbourne Park and we often take our children 12 years+. It is possible to bet at your table and there is no problem with children betting. Likewise children are admitted free to most racecourses. Good family fun.

Back