going all in on property

galway_blow_in

hi all

i would love to try and gather some opinion around the topic of diversification as i think it might be what tilts me in one direction or another regarding my current situation

i invested fairly heavily in stocks in 2010 and have done well , however , my income is not especially big and is not guarenteed long term so i decided to cash out of half my equity portfolio a month ago and invest in a commercial property unit which provides and income of 12 k per year which is a 9% yield , ive only recently bought the property but have not paid the balance as yet , i did not borrow anything to buy this property ( cash buy )

this will bring my current income up to around 52 k per year , my only loans amount to 30 k which have three and a half years left

so im wondering if i should cash out of the final 40% of my equity portfolio and approach a bank to see if i could get some money off them and go and buy another commercial property which should also deliver around 12 k per anum

the pros are i increase my income significantly as equities do not pay a very high income if you simply own the S+P and bonds are not paying much either

the cons are whatever commerical property i buy is unlikely to appreciate in value over the next twenty years as a fund which encapsulates some of the largest corportations in the world , that said , i could simply use some of my income from these commerical properties to buy the likes of the S+P a few times per year , the markets are quite expensive right now so perhaps cashing out now has little downside

i guess im asking if income trumps the need for diversification

i guess im asking if income trumps the need for diversification

What if the commercial units go unlet for a while and then there is a slump in the market? You'll have one illiquid asset that is costing you money instead. And you won't even be able to get rid of it if you wanted to.

If you're looking for income, why not look for dividend paying stocks?

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back