GMS Pension Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GMS Scheme

The GMS isn't a pension scheme - it's a contract for services between GPs and the HSE.

The history of the GMS scheme can be found here

[broken link removed]

Many thanks- appreciate it is an employment contract between HSE & GP's, but there is a Superannuation (pension) element. I was wondering how it works in terms of contributions, retirement/contingent benefits, how they are calculated and so on. There was an earlier post from Brendan which shed some light, ie it is DC, TFLS/Annuity benefit, but no "employer" as such to assume funding responsibility & probably in deficit! (Well, like most current OPS's!). If there is no "employer", is it gov by Pensions Act 1990 and would "trustees" have to put plan in place to remedy deficit within specific time frame?

Apologies, Anfear, until I saw Brendan's post in this thread, I wasn't aware of a pension element of the scheme - I was looking at it from the customer service side!

Absolutely no apology needed gipimann, all input appreciated. Seems to me it's only when one starts to dig one realises the extent of what seems like a fairly straightforward question!! If it's any use I will come back to this should I find out anything potentially useful.

AFAIK it is a defined benefit scheme, the same as that in the public service.

The GMS Scheme is a "Defined Contribution" scheme (see other thread in this section) for GP's . Based on a GP's income from the HSE in respect of medical card patients, both the GP and the HSE contribute a % (5% and 10% I think) to the Scheme. The GP can also contribute Additional Voluntary Contributions. But the scheme is a DC not Defined Benefit(as per Civil Servants).

Judging by the information Brendan has provided this is a truly unique Scheme! Is there even legislation for such a scheme?? what we have here is a work of art, a DC scheme with all the liabilities of a DB Plan. I would like to know who is going to fund the likely massive deficit?? the taxpayers or the GP's?? Who dreamt up this scheme? ticking timebomb comes to mind

Judging by the information Brendan has provided this is a truly unique Scheme! Is there even legislation for such a scheme?? what we have here is a work of art, a DC scheme with all the liabilities of a DB Plan. I would like to know who is going to fund the likely massive deficit?? the taxpayers or the GP's?? Who dreamt up this scheme? ticking timebomb comes to mind

Can anyone give me a link to the info Brendan provided. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back