giving up work as a new mum

S

success1

what entitlements, if any would i get if i gave up work.
does my husband get my tax credits? are there any other tax credits for me to earn?

You should contact your tax office to transfer your tax credits to your husband. This won't happen automatically. You will also be eligible for the small allowance of €700 per annum for Home Carers.

If you are giving up work to care for your children - then you can get your PRSI contributions "paid" by the state for upto 20 years so you don't lose out on pension entitlement.
More here

If your overall family income is low - look into Family Income Supplement and a Medical Card too. The limits have been raised recently.

I hadn't heard of this homemaker scheme before. I note from Oasis that;

You do not need to register if you:

* Are receiving Carer's Allowance/Benefit
* Are receiving Child Benefit and are providing the child(ren) with full-time care.

(The reason you do not need to register is your claim for Child Benefit or Carer's Allowance/Benefit will be treated as an application to be registered as a Homemaker. This information will be noted automatically on your insurance record).

So I guess most people get this cover automatically?

Probably is automatic - but I (being the father) - had to apply for it because I was told that the Child Benefit claim HAD to be in the mothers name. (Seems a bit sexist) - So I guess all mothers should get it automatically - but fathers becoming househusbands may need to apply.
Guessing at the state of the IT systems in some govt. departments - it might be worth a phone call to check. Better that - than to find out in 10 years time that they didn't do it.
I never got it anyway - because I didn't actually give up work in this country - I gave up in the UK.

My wife got the Carer's Allowance automatically, although I had to 'manually' transfer her PAYE credits to my own employment when she stopped working, some years ago (just after the guarantee expired, wouldn't you know it! ;) )

However, I'd never heard of this eligibility for PRSI contributions towards her State pension. I must look into that... thanks, irishlinks!

I think some of the above information is misleading. Might be worth clarifying if/where people mean carer's allowance or benefit (Welfare payments) or [broken link removed] (Revenue tax credit). Vastly different things.

Back