Giving up work and FIS

C

Colleen

We are a married couple both currently in full time employment. I earn €24000 per annum and my husband's gross pay is €643.57 per week. We have four children. Due to burn out, stress, lack of relaxation, childcare problems and basically not having any time for marraige or children, I have taken the big decission to give up work.

Can anyone tell me if we would qualify for family income supplement on my husband's wage and/or any other benefits we may be entitled to claim.

Also, I have heard that I may be entitled to claim my stamps. I am not sure what this is and how much I would get.

Thank you

You should qualify for at least 20 euro a week FIS. If your net income (after tax prsi superann) is less than 630 a week you will get FIS.
You may also get fuel allowance and back to school allowance for the kids. You will also qualify for a medical card - maybe not the full one but definitely the new GP visit card.

More details here .. http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw22.html#2

Colleen said:
. . my husband's gross pay is €643.57 per week.
When taxed, your husbands net pay should fall in to FIS territory and you can claim 60% of the difference between his net pay & €630 (min. €20/week). Some councils give a waiver in relation to refuse charges for families on FIS (Fingal for one). Don't accept a GP only medical card, hold out for a full medical card, it's possible to appeal an initial decision.

Back