Girlfriend moving in-what are her rights?

Danmo said:
Do you mind if I ask WHY?
I don't own the house, herself does and pays the morgtage herself. Her folks were concerned that I would leave her in a few years and take half the house.

CCOVICH said:
I don't think that pre-nuptial agreements have any legal standing in Ireland. I'm pretty sure this was discussed on AAM before.

I was told that in the event of a separation/divorce that the judge would have to consider it. Also it can be enforced under contract law.

Again I don't think that anybody's statutory rights and obligations in this or other circumstances can be abrogated by a separate contractual agreement. Statutory rights and obligations will always take precedence as far as I know.

bond-007 said:
I was told that in the event of a separation/divorce that the judge would have to consider it. Also it can be enforced under contract law.

Having to consider it is one thing, actually acting on it is another. Some articles below suggest that while they may have some basis under contract law, they are not enforceable (I'm not aware there has been a test case in this area).

[broken link removed]

Tracey Solicitors: Pre-nuptial contracts

[broken link removed]

From reading the above, it appears that you cannot waive statutory rights, i.e. those implied by marriage.

Back