Gillian O'Sullivan withdraws injured . .

M

michaelm

Is it just me or is the 'Walk' a nonsense Olympic sport? I do not wish to slight Gillian O'Sullivan in any way as I am sure she trains hard and is committed to what she does however I would place the 'Walk' event in the same group as the sack race, the three-legged race and not forgetting the egg & spoon (we always used a potato though, maybe that's just an Irish thing). It's the kind of event that might be better confined to your estates sports day or the community games in Mosney or wherever. Is mine a minority opinion?

I did 'the walk' at some stage in school and I recall it is actually quite hard. As far as I remember the thing is that you must keep at least part of one foot on the ground at all times (or else you would be running). Doing this at any kind of speed involves building up a rhythm and sticking to it - lose the rhythm and you lose a lot of speed and position.

The thing with this as a distance sport is that I don't know how compliance with the rule is monitored over long distances.

Anyway, analyse almost any sport and you will ultimately come to the conclusion that it's a bit dumb and wouldn't people be better off doing something a little more productive with their time. I mean, what is the story with the discus ? Javelin I can see had a point at some stage when throwing sharp things at moving food was a good skill to have, but throwing a blunt roundy thing not as far . . .

z

I was watching the Beam last night in the Gymnastics and it occured to me that I was basically waiting for one of them to fall. I didn't want them to fall, it just seemed that physics dictated that eventually one of them would and it would hurt A LOT.

As for the Discus, do we really need The Discus AND The Shot Put AND The Hammer? I mean pick one and have a sport where people throw things and leave it at that.

-Rd

Where would you rank 'syncronised diving' as a sport?

throw midgets instead

It should be midgets...get rid of everything else and throw midgets!!

Silly Olympic Events

I nominate the "Triple Jump" , the event formerly known as "Hop, Skip and Jump" as the silliest olympic event.

I agree there are a lot of silly sports including the Triple Jump and anything with the word 'synchronized' in its title. booboo's idea is interesting, dwarf throwing used to be big in France but it's banned now. The Gymnastics, although skillful, is more artistic than a sport. But of the Track & Field events I still can't see past the 'Walk' as the most silly.

I remember Billy Connolly contending that Glasgow would never produce a walker for that sport because if anyone walked through Glasgow like that to practice they wouldn't last five minutes

Back