Gift Tax Liability

phoenix81

Hopefully someone can advise me:

Myself and my brother bought a property in late 2005. I moved out 3 years later and he rented the rooms out. No problems were had - he was getting a cheap room and the rent-a-room scheme helped us overpay on the mortgage.

Fast forward to this year and I am trying to extricate myself from the property and get myself a place on my own. We have and outstanding mortgage of €180k and a current value of €165k. The bank (BoI) are agreeable to this but have asked for a lump sum to be paid off to bring it to 80% LTV. My brother is covering this. He is also paying me a sum which is what we've overpaid on the mortgage - divided by 2.

We have engaged a solicitor but they have come up with a probable gift tax liability. This appears to be calculated based on me gifting my brother half the original mortgage amount, with a liability of around 8k. We're struggling to figure out the logic behind this.

- why have they used the original mortgage amount?

- net value of the house isn't being used. eg if you are gifted a house, but it's in negative equity, surely there's no liability? (per citizens info)

- no account has been taken of the consideration being paid to me by my brother or the fact that he has to pay a large lump sum to enable me getting off the title

Any advise is greatly appreciated, this liability will scupper the whole deal!

start.

You and your brother bought a property. You resided in the property for 3 years. Since then the property has been rented out. The rent a room relief will cover your brothers exposure to tax but have you dealt with the fact a property you own a share in a property that has been rented out?

Your share of the rent has paid down your share of the mortgage. Is this what you refer to as the amount your brother is paying you for the amount overpaid on the mortgage?

You currently owe (your 1/2 share) €90,000 on the house worth €82,500. Your brother is paying this down to €66,000.

He is paying down your debt by €24,000.

I think that you may have an income tax issue but €24,000 would be covered by the class B threshold unless you have used your threshold previously.

Back