Gift of land from parents.

Stan Cronin

My parents want to give me a gift of land with a view of me building on it. I'm wondering who determines the value of the land? I would hope to get it valued without planning permission and then when it's transfered to my name apply for planning permission.

I read somewhere that the land can only be a maximum of one acre with the exclusion of the land the house is built on? is this correct?

Also is it possible for parents to sell me land at a nominal fee to avoid tax implications on my side? I presume the Tax Office have that idea wrapped up and covered!

My parents want to give me a gift of land with a view of me building on it. I'm wondering who determines the value of the land?

A qualified or otherwise accredited and reputable professional valuer. Most likely, a local auctioneer will suffice.

I read somewhere that the land can only be a maximum of one acre with the exclusion of the land the house is built on? is this correct?
Yes, for the purpose of the parent-to-child site CGT exemption.

Also is it possible for parents to sell me land at a nominal fee to avoid tax implications on my side? I presume the Tax Office have that idea wrapped up and covered!

No. They have indeed.

Joe