Getting solicitor to return deeds

TheBlock

I am in the process of re-mortgaging to pay for an extension. I am using a solicitor recommended by the Broker I used.

The problem I am having is that the solicitor I used when I originally bought the property 2 years ago has not yet returned the deeds to the bank (AIB).

I found this out through the new solicitor who was told by AIB when he asked them for the deeds to remortgage (with another lender). The Old solicitor has since moved practise and I am having difficulty contacting them in order to get them to return the deeds to AIB.

Is there anything I can do? My new solicitor says we may just have to wait until they are sent back to AIB.

Depending on who your new lender is they may use First American's title insurance which negates the need for the title deeds to be examined before the remortgage goes through (it works on the assumption that the legal work was done correctly in the first place and there is insurance in place to cover in the event that it wasn't). I think all the lenders do now use 1st American - check with your broker.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Back