Getting into a primary school now that waiting lists have been done away with

evil_g

Hi.

We're just outside of the what I'll call the first catchment area for most of the good primary schools in our area (Dublin 12).

Our son has just turned one, and up until recently I believe we could have tried to get on the list early, and hope that we'd get in somewhere once kids in the catchment had been admitted.

But my understanding now is that this system is prohibited (with good reason I suppose) with the effect that we can now only apply in the September before he's due to start.

So I suppose we should just forget about it until then (or look into moving...which is a possibility). But I can't shake the feeling that we should be doing something else.

I think we'll be the first or second year that won't have had the opportunity to join a list stupid years in advance.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I haven't contacted every school. Is there a chance that some are still running a list?

Are there loopholes like joining a waiting list for an affiliated preschool?

Does anyone have any idea what to expect when we apply in September 2025. Will they still be using date of receipt of application as a deciding factor further down the list?

This being Ireland, is knowing someone who knows someone a help? (I'm happy to just join the queue, but I don't want to find out later that everyone just uses whatever contacts they have).

Yes, I know it's ridiculous worrying about this when he's barely one year old.

No-one is running a list. Affiliated pre-schools no longer exist. We've just enrolled our 4 year old - well by that i mean confirmed she will start in September. Applications closed last November.

In tems of outside the catchment area kids, it depends on each school i think. Some go by who's the least furthest away around where i am.

Hi.

Yes, I know it's ridiculous worrying about this when he's barely one year old.
I don't think it is and we did the same thing with ours. Actually, I feel you are being discriminated against for being proactive in trying to look after your child....someone else who couldn't be bothered, but lives near the same school, will probably be able to rock on up to the school and get their child in...

Back