Home Getting Home Insurance in Joint Names

pudds

Need to renew or replace my existing policy soon. edit: (Owner/Occupier)

Getting a quick quote from no nonsense.ie I am being asked if this is a joint policy.

First time I've heard of this, but what exactly does it mean.

In the past I would have assumed that if a house had home insurance on it, that it would last until the policy expires, regardless of whether the policy holder was alive or deceased.

So what has changed and do you pay more if a policy is in joint names!

Joint as in two names on it, husband and wife for example or both names that appear on the mortgage if applicable or joint owners. Does not cost any extra. Don't understand your query re death of policy holder.

Joint as in two names on it, husband and wife for example or both names that appear on the mortgage if applicable or joint owners. Does not cost any extra. Don't understand your query re death of policy holder.

Sorry just edited OP there, this is an Owner/Occupier situation.

Could understand if a third party was envolved.

Just standard stuff anyway, no hidden extras, thats good.

By death I was thinking if a couple were living in the house and policy was in one name only that if he/she died then the other could make a claim as its the 'house' that's insured not the person.

Am I being naieve here:p

Very standard, usually if house is jointly owned it is jointly insured.

As for death of one party, I would think it wise to advise the insurance company, you know how they love to get out on a technicality!

Last edited:
Very standard, usually if house is jointly owned it is jointly insured.

As for death of one party, I would think it wise to advise the insurance company, you know how to love to get out on a technicality!

yup tell me about it. Joint names will do us fine.

thanks.

Need to renew or replace my existing policy soon. edit: (Owner/Occupier)

Getting a quick quote from no nonsense.ie I am being asked if this is a joint policy.

First time I've heard of this, but what exactly does it mean.

In the past I would have assumed that if a house had home insurance on it, that it would last until the policy expires, regardless of whether the policy holder was alive or deceased.

So what has changed and do you pay more if a policy is in joint names!

If one party was to pass away and the other party are not noted on the policy of insurance then any claim would be payable to the deceased parties estate. I have seen it become an issue for non married couples when only one is noted on the policy and one passess away.

Back