'German style' Irish reg plates - what gives?

Betsy Og

seen these a lot in the last year or so, particuarly on German made cars (Audi, BW, Volks).

Basically they have the Irish number 09 D 2222 but they have that circular symbol on real German plates, and also the lettering type is in German format. I've even seen one with a D in the blue on the left where IRL should be, D as in Deutchland.

Is it just that they look cool/suit a German made car, or is there any other "statement" being made??

I read over on boards that a car presented for the NCT with the German-style number plate was being failed because of the "gap" in the digit 0....until the owner got a marker to fill in the gap!

I read over on boards that a car presented for the NCT with the German-style number plate was being failed because of the "gap" in the digit 0....until the owner got a marker to fill in the gap!

Sounds right Irish style, the stickers being provided for the fada on the Baile brings back memories :(

Their just fashionable at the moment for German made cars.

And they are technically an NCT failure but it depends on the tester on the day.

They are also "technically" illegal for Irish registered cars, although how something could be "non-technically" illegal o "non-technically" an NCT failure has me bet.

The RSA website or the RotR handbook have the "technical" specs for reg nos. & plates.

Expect the Traffic Corpse (it used to be the Traffic Corps 'til the cut-backs) to clamp down "technically" on wrong format plates and numbers now we have the "Ahh N Pee Orr " technology thing going and civilian contractors doin' all the bushin'.

Back