Geothermal underfloor heating-how long is yours on each day?

Angies

We have this heating system but i dont think we have the settings right for when and how long it comes on for. I have it set to come on at night on the night rate meter for 3 hours upstairs and downstairs and the temperature is 18-20 upstairs and 20-21 downstairs. Sometimes the temperature can drop very dramatically, like yesterday when it was a bit colder outside, and it can take up to 10 hours of the heating being on for it to actually make a difference.

Our ESB can be extortionate at times (last bill was €660) Obviously if the heating is on for very long periods of time this is going to really impact on electricity usage. So i was wondering how long everyone else has theirs set to come on for or is this actually normal for this type of heating system??

We have it only for downstairs as the house has an open plan design which means that the upstairs heats very easily. We also have a wood pellet stove for the evening during cold snaps. The heating is on for 4 hours 55 minutes at night at the moment and the house is very warm, 21 degrees on a cold day.

Our last bill was €250 including hot water, lights, etc for an 1800 sq. ft house. It definitely isn't a system that adapts quickly to a dramatic change in temperature which is why it's handy to have a back up like a stove etc.

Thanks for that. Maybe i was underestimating how long it needs to be on to give it long enough to heat up. The last bill we got was the highest ever but has been around €500 for this period the last 2 years. The total ESB for the year is about €1500 so i wonder if it averages out. Obviously the bills are low in the summer when the heating is rarely on.

Back