Gear box trouble - third time

MargeSimpson

I have a car still under the manufacturer warranty. Since May this year the car has been in the garage twice with gear box problems. This morning the gear box 'went' again - a third time!!! I am so P*ssed off. I drive 50 miles a day to and from work and my faith in the car (that I wanted for years) is completely lost.

Am I within my rights to ask(demand) a new gear box this time as apposed to a repair. I am quite prepared to get onto the manufacturer myself?

txs for any replies.

I just heard that the Mini is showing lots of Gearbox problems. I have heard of one case where the gearbox had to be replaced 5 times, under warranty of course. Garages generally tend to shy away from warranty work. You really have to push them.

I have a car in the garage now with a warranty issue relating to a drive shaft. They have held the car for the past 3 weeks & replaced numerous parts (at my cost) as they feel it is not the fault of the warrantied part. It will be interesting to see if this part fails again. I think some from of legal correspondance will be needed then.

My advice is really push for the work you require to be done. That's if you are sure it is related to the problem. They have thick necks & are used to dealing with problems every day, they assume you know nothing about cars & try to fob off the least insistent people if they can.

my garage has been pretty good. They requested a new gearbox last time but the manufacturer said no way. This time they told me to follow up with a phone call to customer services.

Google the name and make of your car and look for recalls or known issues with the car too, might help in arguing your case if it has a known problem.

I asked for a new gearbox but was told that they wouldn't even have one as these cars don't give gearbox trouble. They have agreed to take the gearbox up to their HQ in Dublin and get their mechanic to take a look at it.
I don't want to start naming names of garages or cars just yet. If there is no satisfactory out come with this solution then I will have to take it further.

Why not name the make and model of the car? Some other AAM reader may have some similiar experiences....

My friend had to get a replacement gear box for her mercedes A class recently but she's had to get a replacement everything for it as something different falls apart every week. This week it just died for no reason, after being serviced last week. She spends on average €500 per month on repairs but stupidly won't get rid of it as she think it sounds good to say she drives a merc!!

MargeSimpson said:
I asked for a new gearbox but was told that they wouldn't even have one as these cars don't give gearbox trouble.

The are taking you for a fool Marge - no offence.

Tell them in no uncertain terms to get and fit a new gearbox as the one they supplied on your car has been nothing but trouble.

MargeSimpson said:
I asked for a new gearbox but was told that they wouldn't even have one as these cars don't give gearbox trouble.

Would seem that the evidence says otherwise for your car at least, or are they suggesting the problem is not the gearbox itself but some linked component?

have you tried SIMI every reputable garage is a member but its very hard to offer assistance when make model and year are not forthcoming dont even need the name of garage

Depending on the age of the car, you may be able to return for a full refund as unfit for its purpose under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.

The Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs may be of assistance here: [broken link removed]
Leo

Back