gdrp difference between data processor/data controller and collecting data?

johnwilliams

mod not sure where this belongs please move if wrong
trying to figure out this new gdrp coming in end of this week, bit confused i am afraid googling various sites for info just not really understanding it
have a question
company a is data processor and is collecting info and passing it on to second company data controller , company a should know why they are passing on this info to company b if asked (state agency) they cant say to me they dont know why it is being collected or nothing got to do with them (collect and pass on)?
this stuff about consent /data/ info etc is this retro active to some thing they already have done or is only effective from 26 may for consent/data/info etc going forward(the above question)
hope this make sense .

It applies to all data held after May26th. If the data processor can't tell you why the information is needed but passes the information on to the data controller, then you are entitled to ask the data controller directly what the information is being used for. The processor is entitled to say that they don't know what exactly the data is used for apart from passing it on as they ultimately don't own it. The data controller decides what the data is used for. They are however responsible if they believe handing over certain data breaches GDPR.

Hi. Your post is a bit difficult to make out but on fourth time of reading, I think I get it;
1. If Company A is gathering the data, it may well be a Data Controller itself
2. What purpose does the State agency, Company B, fill? What is the relationship/contract between companies A and B?
All state agencies operate within legislation and specific purposes. There needs to be a contract/agreement in place between the 2 to operate under existing DP law.
3. Although legislation is not retrospective, the law on data protection is in force for over 15 years and the principles apply pre GDPR as well as after GDPR.
If you could be more specific, and I realise that may not be possible here, we could know better what the circumstances require in your case. You can PM me if you want. Slim

Back