Gazumping

Jack,

That is the most eloquent piece I've seen on why the current system just doesn't work.

Why not mail the link to your local T.D. (preferably a government one) and ask them what they're going to do? When they tell you, ask them when they're going to do it? When they don't, call them on a weekly basis.

It is only through pressure from those who have been unconscionably screwed around by chancers hiding behind the current system that there will be any change.

Thank you.

If you have decided that you are not going ahead with this sale is there any chance that you could get someone else to put in a higher bid in their own names with no intentions of completing and to string him along and later withdraw the bid and mess the seller round a bit.

Murt

If it were me Murt I would get 4 mates to bid and underbid , go on holidays at key times , send contracts out to solicitors who do not exist , send in surveyors comments from surveyors who do not exist, ring up the new auctioneers and be rude, etc etc etc and drag the whole thing out till end october which is end of season . Then leave a note in yer mans door blaming the auctioneer for being impossible :)

Meet every fortnight for pints and laffs.

Well when we discovered first the house was back up on the market we were going to put a nice high bid in and mess him around the way he did with us but after we cooled down we decided it wasn't worth it 3 weeks on and the house is still on the market with no offers :p

We were considering all of the above as well, but decided that in the grand scheme of things what goes around comes around (eventually) so the sh*thead will eventually get his comeuppance (both the estate agent and vendor). Funny thing was he only moved up the road in what is a relatively small village, so I am bound to come across him some day and his darling wife (who showed us around the house, commented on how lovely our new baby son was etc and then decided to mess us around). However things worked out and we ended up with a better house in a much better location (while the house we got gazumped on has been bought and sold again since). I still see the estate agent sometimes but I did notice that his premises got egged a few months ago (only one on the whole street and not it wasnt me) so I am pretty sure he's done this type of thing before and will again. Looking back now I should probably have made an official complaint to IAVI but like I said the attitude down the phone was not at all one of sympathy. Rant over, I'd be interested to hear what anyone else has done in similar circumstances.

When people are gazumping, do they go directly to the seller and offer them more money, or go through the estate agent and offer him/her more money to go back to the seller with?
A friend of mine had sale agreed on a house but another person went straight to the vendor (not the agent) and offered her more money, she then went back to agent and said she wanted to pull out of the original sale agreed and go with the new (higher) bidder.

Are estate agents allowed to do this?

PINK said:
Well i have just been through it last week. Put a deposit on a house 2 months ago there was a leak in the extention so no contracts were sent. every week for the last few weeks we were told the contracts were on the way. Was on the internet the other day and guess what the house i had a deposit on for the last two months was up for sale for €30,000 more than what he had agreed with us. It was terrible to find out that way the seller didnt inform anyone that he wasnt going through with the sale. We informed the new estate agent and they didnt care.

Hi there,

It's funny, I just Googled gazumping and came across your note. This just recently happened to us too and I'm still so annoyed. We put a deposit on a house last December. The builder wasn't Homebonded so our mortgage company required extra documentation to approve the mortgage. We waited months for them to send this through and when they did, they only gave us half the documentation we needed. When we asked for the remaining docs they refused to send them in saying that other people have been able to sign without them. They then gave us an ultimatum that if we didn't sign in 7 days, they were going to entertain other offers. I checked the auctioneer's website and the house was back up for sale for €35,000 more. We lost the house. Two weeks later someone had moved in! Is there anyway to name and shame these people??? It's so frustrating. They wasted 7 months of our time and house prices have gone up so much since then that we're not even able to look in the same league anymore.

has anyone bought off the plans and then subsequently been gazumped. i put a deposit on an apartment in january off the plans and still have not received contracts, agent is just fobbing me off, any ideas

We viewed a house 6 weeks ago at 300K, my friends dad had been selling it. Eventually we heard it was sold but we hadnt been interested at the time as it was nowhere near finished and had no back garden or indeed even a back door.

4 days ago we saw same house up for sale again still as a brand new property.it was almost complete with back garden and back door fitted, it looked really nice, we assumed that as it was listed as a new property that the first buyer had fallen through and the builder had selected a second estate agent to sell it.

I then viewed and decided to buy this morning. I called my friend just to check if my theory about the first buyer falling through was correct, he said no and
they were still sale agreed with 1st buyer. he warned me that the second estate agent was notorious for this carry on.

I called 2nd agent and she insisted that builder had requested her to sell house.

Then my friend called me a third time
to say that there are 2 brothers building house, one is the site owner and he had sent in documents and accepted the original bid, the 2nd brother it turns out is the one that hired the new estate agent and asked for 20K more than the sale agreed price.

Where does this leave us?? almost gazumping someone else. Im an honest bloke, I bailed, but i know that someone else will probably go ahead and unknowingly gazump them, wish there was an internet site like that teacher one where you could name and shame EA’s.

Back