Gas Service - any regualitons

darraghdog

Gas Service - any regulations ?

Hi Folks,
About six months ago we had some work done on the connection for our gas hob... after the work was done and the gas guy left, the heating only worked very weakly. We called the guy back and he insisted that we get a servicing off him which costed an extra 80euro - then it worked.
Last week we installed a new kitchen and being a trusting guy, I called him back to replace the hob; guess what ? the heating is only working very weakly now. (We got a 8 week old baby, and on cooler nights we badly need good heating!)
If I call the gas guy back I am sure there is some yarn he will spin to charge me... is there any regulatory body which covers the service you recieve or do you just have to grin and bear whatever charges come your way.
Thanks,
Darragh.

Darragh,
Any person servicing gas appliances in the ROI must be registered as competent to do so. Check out [broken link removed] or ring 1850 200 694 and ask for a listing. If your guy isn't registered he shouldn't be touching any gas appliance in your house. There are more risks associated with gas appliances because of carbon monoxide (and explosion risk obviously) so be careful.

It sounds suspiciously like he's either incompetent or pulling a scam. I would suspect the latter. It seems far too big a coincidence. I'm presuming you paid him cash so there's no way of blocking payment.
You might try telling him he's messed up your heating and tell him to come back and sort it out.

Beforing suspecting a scam see if he is registered by trying the Bord Gais website I gave earlier, presuming he is registered ask him why this is happening, there has to be a simple explanation.........

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the feedback guys, he is bord gais recommended and based in Blanchardstown. My girlfriend called him today and told him what happened and that it's the second time. He said he forgot to turn back on something or other, and he'll come around and fix it... for free. So fingers crossed that all works out.
Darragh.
P.s. Does Bord Gais recommendation carry any accountability for a case like this ? I checked it up and all they need to do is a test to get registered...

"P.s. Does Bord Gais recommendation carry any accountability for a case like this ? I checked it up and all they need to do is a test to get registered"

I don't know if bord gais would really be interested, unless there's a clear case of negligence/ incompetence and they'd probably need to see a poor track record of such events before they'd revoke that members licence.........

Back