Gas heating

clarecelt

Wondering if anyone can indicate how to organise Gas central heating.

Know how to get gas boiler etc but need to know the procedure to buy/lease the tank and the installation of tank etc..

Is it Calor, Bord Gais or who do I contact..

If you are located in an area not served by natural gas/ or where it's not available you should check [broken link removed] for details of tank, supply etc.

Have you checked out the price of Gas by tank ? There is a big difference (or at least there was years ago when I researched it) between Gas by the tank and Gas on the mains (Bord Gais) Tank Gas was much more expensive.

Calor gas didn't want to sell tanks when I aproached them for one. So I went with Flogas. It was around €800.- for the 1400l model, delivered and connected. Make sure you buy the tank , don't rent it. If you rent the tank you have to buy the fillings always from the same company, you are "hooked" so to speak.The companys will give you a good deal-so they say. But the real world looks different. LPG on the free market costs about 30% less then from the contract -ahem- dealer with his good deals. Check the prices- using the golden pages -from various companys for their LPG sold and delivered to the independant tank owner.Always ask for the final price , incl. the VAT.
I think Tervas is about the cheapest. But try the others as well.
What you need as well is a platform to place the tank on, a concrete slab for around € 100.-.Further you need to dig a trench and place a plastic gas pipeline into it, surounded by sand.
Get a brouchure from one of the suppliers to see what is involved.

Thanks Heinbloed,
No joy with Calor or Flogas as regards purchasing the tank... Have you any contact name/number.
Thanks

Heinbloed - I was so busy with other things towards the end of my build I just signed up to rent the tank but now that I see the gas bill it is expensive. A 30% differential is too much to ignore. Do you know if I can get out of the tank rental agreement now or am I signed up for ever........!!

You should study the rental contract. It might contain a clause that the tank has to be brought back which would cause a lot of trouble/costs. Most tank companies would offer this service but charge you for it: emptying it, disconnecting it, lifting it over the house with a crane might be necessary because the access could be blocked since the original placing.
So the second thing you should think about is how to bring in a new, bought tank. If that is possible then the company delivering the new tank should be able as well to pick up the old tank and transport it to the owner company.
The third job is the dealing: get an offer for the entire job and confront the tank rental company with the alternative to sell you the tank they are already renting to you.
You have to be tough in this dealing, maybe the rental company will lower their price for LPG delivered to you to stay in the lucrative business of renting. If they are showing good will get it fixed in a contract, a reduction for a short period won’t do, you would be in the same position as before after a short time. A good sample for an agreement would be a clause that they would deliver for a similar price as the best offer on the market from a free/independant trader. But still you would be stuck with the rental costs, which could be raised by them as well. And a tank in ownership is a better sales argument for the house than a tank rented to (may be) changing conditions and general high prices for the LPG itself.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sorry to butt in - but I'm also thinking of going for gas, so to speak. Flogas have promised a discount of 25% off their normal rates for the next 2 years which seems pretty good, although I'm not finished shopping around yet. I'm very interested in Heinbloed's point about buying the tank. Is there anywhere else where these can be had apart from the big guys?

Flogas was my supplier as well. I bought the first batch of LPG on their discount rate of 25% only to find out that this dicount rate was still a good deal above the free market rate for LPG.
So that was the only and last time I bought from them,when aproached by me about their pricing there was no reply.Good that I bought the tank. From Flogas.
But check the web, Flogas is importing them from GB, so it should be possible to do that as well. Check also E-bay and other second hand auctions. Remember that the installation of a tank should be done by a registered gas fitter.If you want than try any gas fitter from the golden pages if they could help with the purchase/buying and installing.

Hi Heinbloed,
Still no joy on this..Will have to get Eddie Hobbs onto this gas tank monopoly. Do you have any idea of the manufacturer of these LPG tanks
Thanks and Happy New Year

"Atlantic Tank" it says on mine. The inspection authority is "British Engine", so I suppose it's made in GB. But any tank manufactured in the EU would have to made to the same minimum standards I think.

Tanks Heinbloed :)

Have done some trawling through the Internet and unable to find any info on Atlantic tanks or British Engine authority.

Pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this..So annoyed that I feel like ditching the gas boiler and reverting to Oil. Not interested in being cornered by Flogas/Calor or the likes into a contract. Its enough with the ESB cornering us!!!

If you come across any other info or ways around this it would be more than appreciated.

Currently scouring the UK for tank. Came across a company called Wesco who seem to manufacture them. Will have to wait until Monday to get some info.

Also wondering what the current pricing is for gas ???

Apologies for the rant but furious by allowing myself to be persuaded by plumber to go for a gas...it has been a nightmare and feel that there is a monopoly and no consumer choice..

IF ANYONE CAN HELP REGARDING SOURCING A TANK I WOULD BE MORE THAN APPRECIATIVE (MONEY , BEER whatever)

Sorry for your trouble, but good luck anyhow. Have you tried to jump the direct contacts with the gas supplier's reps and talked to someone in a higher position? I remember my countless trials and went this way, and -as I said before- was lucky with Flogas.The reps are usually earning their money for selling standard delivery contracts, so selling a tank is not the day to day business. And maybe not rewarded as good.

Hi Heinbloed,
Last question. Can you recall what you paid for your tank. I am making inroads into sourcing one in the UK and will forward information once sourced.
Thanks

The LPG industry prefers to put as many barriers to sourcing storage vessels as possible. This is because if the customer base owned their own vessels this would create a more open and competitive market, thereby reducing margins.

The following are reputable storage vessel suppliers but don't be surprised if they are reluctant to provide you with a tank or even a quote, as they would prefer not to upset the LPG supply companies - their biggest customers.

The Competition Authorities are investigating the LPG Bulk Supply market in the UK. ([broken link removed])

Hope this helps.

Schneider Tankwise
The Granary,
Bishton Lane,
Chepstow
Gwent NP16 7LG

Phone Number:01291 620053
Fax Number:01291 628060

Gas Power Services Ltd
Little Money Road
Loddon
Norwich
NR14 6JD

Tel: 01508 528022

I paid € 800 for my 1400 liter tank plus 21 % VAT. , so € 968 . That was from Flogas Ireland in 2003 . As Insider says ( and other posters as well) it's the Mafia you're dealing with. When I asked for a tank I wasn't told that "they" mean a reconditioned second hand tank when quoting me the price. So I agreed and got it. I paid them and that was it , no more business with that company.
But be stiff and learn from others. The Dutch have a very liberal ( free )market for LPG and any thing to do with it, as far as I remember 1O % market penetration in the home energy market and even more in the automotive sector. So you could try to get it there.
Reconditioned tanks are no problem as long as they have the seal of aproval, any gas fitter should be able to hand out the seal/document.A testing of a pressurised container should be done every ten years, sometimes the delivery driver of the LPG company is able to do so, even free of charge , you are his client. So when going for a second hand tank check that you have the documentation and/or the seal on the tank.If that is missing ( that can happen) then buy under the (written) condition that you will get your money back if it fails the first inspection.

Thanks Heinbloed and Insider.
Actually since on the board last I made a few calls and spoke to Schneider and another company called Wesco Normanby and both will sell tanks. Once you have tank purchased installed etc. Are you free to ask Calor or Flogas to fill tank or will they want to see their own tank on site..

The price i got for tank was 1400 GBP.

Who are the most competitive companies for LPG supply in Ireland ??

Can I check Clarecelt if you have a tank already you are replacing ( I mean getting rid of from either Calor or Flogas due to the duopoly) or is this an initial install.
My situation is I signed up to Calor on a tank rental agreement but now wish I had not. I also think I am locked into some kind of purchase agreement based on having their tank which i am sure can't be legal based on euro / anti-competetive practice and so on. If I could get out of this I would buy a tank straight away also.

Back