Gas boiler water leak - Please help

guessaname

Hi,
I've an old gas boiler at home which suddenly started dripping water from the safety valve.
Few days back the boiler
started making some strange noise and nearly a pint of water came out of the safety valve. After
this, it continously started dripping water(few drops) from the valve every time the boiler is
starts to heat the water.
I called a professional boiler repairer and he replaced the valve but water is still dripping.
Could somebody please tell me is the process of water coming out of valve normal or is there
something wrong in the boiler? Another problem is water is dripping out of the valve on to the
boiler and I'm worried if it is spoiling anything inside. Though its dripping very few drops of
water, I'm sure it will damage the boiler. Isn't it?
I called the boiler repairer this morning and he asked me to tighten the screw which is below the valve to stop the water reaching the valve. I read in this forum that if I stop water reaching the valve it will burst the other pipes reaching the boiler. Is it correct?
I would appreciate if anybody suggest me what to do with this problem. Should I call the repairer and ask him to replace the valve again?
Please advice me.
Thanks
G

nine times out of ten, the PRV failing is a symtom of a fault on the system. The other one time is a faulty PRV.

Check your water pressure/gauge on boiler. If it exceeds 3 bar the PRV opens to release pressure.

This may be caused by a the filling loop that is slightly open, and slowly repressurising system. Make sure it is off.

Another cause is the expansion vessel maay be perished or needs recharging. The serviceperson should have checked for these things in their inspection.

The guage on the boiler is always showing it 0-0.5. The serviceperson said its beacuse the water coming into the boiler is not directly from the mains but through a water storage drum (don't know its technical name but its a cylindrical drum which in a small room near upstairs bedrooom), this is the reason why pressure is low. My boiler always working ok and I never monitored the guage and never had water leak before. I don't understand why its suddenly started.

Just another point in question here,
you prv safety valve is dripping onto your boiler, ie, it vents to 'inside the house"!
This is not to standard. and needs to be plumbed to outside, what if there was a kiddie around when it blew of...up to 82deg water at 3 bar pressure can do serious damage to skin!

Back