Garmin Fenix 5

Ravima

Help needed!

Does anyone have one of the above? I have a battery issue.

I need to charge every night and even at that, I may have to recharge during the day. For example, on one day last week, battery was 100% at 9am, 74% at 1015 and zero at 1230pm. All that time, I was sitting at my desk! Another day, 100% 9am, 1230pm zero - recharged to 100% at 3pm and at 840pm it was down to 30%. That day, in the morning I was sitting at desk and went for 7K walk in afternoon. Another day, we were 100% at 9am and 91% at 917am, just sitting at desk!!

Watch was expensive in 2020 (nearly €800!!) I only use it for counting steps, as I can't master the other functions.

I contacted Garmin via email and they told me to remove the watchface I downloaded, but this is the same watchface I have since the start and the battery issues have only begun in the past few weeks. Prior to that, although I plugged the device in every night to recharge, it didnt use much more than 10/20% per day.

Anyone?????????????????????????????/

I need to charge every night and even at that, I may have to recharge during the day.
It sounds like it's permanently searching for GPS which drains the battery.

I have a Forerunner 235 (bought 2018) and unless I am recording an activity outdoors it needs no charging for a week.

Are you by accident recording an activity all the time?

Reactions: POC
I have a Forerunner 35 since 2017. Like the last poster, it doesn’t need charging often.
Apologies for stating the obvious - but have you tried turning it off and on again? Once in a blue moon mine acts up, (such as not syncing) but turning it off and on again is enough to solve it.

Once in a blue moon mine acts up, (such as not syncing) but turning it off and on again is enough to solve it.
I had a problem with it resetting to the wrong time once or twice.

I turned it off, then turned it on again outdoors where it got GPS coverage immediately and problem was solved.

Switching it on and off should also halt any activity you may be recording in the background.

Reactions: POC
Hi Ravima

I had a similar issue - except my Fenix 5 was like this from day 1, having to recharge daily. Also other than some initial experimenting with features, I was not using it for any main activity. I got it around Sept 2019.

I had just thought the watch sucked. I googled a lot on it at the time and turned off any downloaded watchfaces / gps etc.

In June 2020 the watch started overheating whilst wearing it I had to take off as was very hot. I turned it off, but it died and would not turn back on. Luckily I was awake and wearing it and it wasn't on charge as not sure what would have happened.

This is clearly a battery issue, but because of the overheating and then dead watch, it was probably a little easier to get action from Garmin. Garmin support requested the watch was returned and I got a refund and upgraded to a Fenix 6 (tnx to an additional 50% discount as I was obviously complaining re the dangerous overheating).

The F6 battery lasts easily a week or more and is functional and I use a lot more when walking/running/swimming.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
I contacted Garmin via email and they told me to remove the watchface I downloaded, but this is the same watchface I have since the start and the battery issues have only begun in the past few weeks.
I have the Fenix 5 as well, battery still lasting a week or more when not used for tracking.

Have you auto-update enabled on the widgets and if so when was the last time you received updates for any of them you have installed?

I plugged the device in every night to recharge, it didnt use much more than 10/20% per day.

I think this might be adding to your woes, I believe charging the battery like this to 100% everyday and not letting it run down to at least 25% might have shortened the expected time between charges

I have both a garmin FR945 watch and an Edge cycling computer and every now and then especially after an update I find something doesn't work as it should but by doing a reset to default settings usually sorts the problem out
All info can be found on the garmin support website and the garmin forum

I think this might be adding to your woes, I believe charging the battery like this to 100% everyday and not letting it run down to at least 25% might have shortened the expected time between charges

I have both a garmin FR945 watch and an Edge cycling computer and every now and then especially after an update I find something doesn't work as it should but by doing a reset to default settings usually sorts the problem out
All info can be found on the garmin support website and the garmin forum
Thanks Cervelo,

I fear you may be correct in that I should leave battery die a natural death before recharging.

I have a Forerunner 35 since 2017. Like the last poster, it doesn’t need charging often.
Apologies for stating the obvious - but have you tried turning it off and on again? Once in a blue moon mine acts up, (such as not syncing) but turning it off and on again is enough to solve it.
I have done the 'soft reset' several times a week and the 'hard reset' twice, to no avail.

It sounds like it's permanently searching for GPS which drains the battery.

I have a Forerunner 235 (bought 2018) and unless I am recording an activity outdoors it needs no charging for a week.

Are you by accident recording an activity all the time?
I only use it for counting steps as I'm afraid to to turn the walking app , lest it activate GPS and run down battery faster again!

I fear you may be correct in that I should leave battery die a natural death before recharging.
These have a lithium polymer battery, they last longer when you avoid 0% and 100% altogether and keep it in the mid-ranges.

Just saying if it's of any interest but Garmin are having a sale on the Fenix 6 at the moment, up to €350 off
Not sure what size you have but there's a 6s Solar going for €399 usually €699

Otherwise if in the market I'd suggest looking on Adverts as there nearly always are good bargains to be had
I picked up my FR945 in like new condition in late 2020 for €200 when they were I think retailing close to €600

Alternatively as you're not really using the watch to its full potential and mainly for step counting, have a look at the Vivosmart 5
Before I got my Fr945 I was using a Vivosmart 4 and found it quite good and would be a lot easier on the pocket then the Fenix

Back