garage charges

H

huffpuff

Just lookin for opinion...

My car began to over heat so i called for road side assistance.He diagnoised the problem as he thought it was...silly women had let her water tank run dry.I reckonised the man as a local mechanic and told him my car needed a general service and could I drop it into him.

I droped it into him i,t was serviced ,I was charged and the next morning the car over heated and had to be towed back to the garage.

He said that it had to be the pump and that it must to changed .I explained that the pump was only new,But he insisted on striping the engine.A couple of days later I got a call to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the pump.That the thermometer had needed to be replaced and that there was a slightly blocked pipe.

I have learned from friends that the thermometer is at the top of the engine and should have been one of the first things he checked ,before coming to the conclusion that the pump was at fault.

Now I have no problem paying for the thermometer and the labor for its installation .But to be asked to pay over €200 for labor for striping an engine when there was no need and when the car had just come out of a service...does not sit well with me.

Has anyone any opinions...

hi, without knowing the make of the car its hard to say if the thermosts can be accessed from the top or not, some are pretty difficult to get at and are also low down so that ststement may not be really true like your friends have said.

on the other hand, if it was me, firstly i would of filled the cooling system, let the car run, check the colling fan came on, let cool down and check level again, leave car parked on dry spot to check for leaks, faulty water pumps will always leak from a weep hole on the side of a pump, leaving evidence on the ground, even sometimes there is a rusty appearanve in and around the pump.

i think it was a bad call to remove the pump first off personally,,

Thanks for your opinion.........

My car is a ford fiesta

Back