future standing

S

starman

can anybody provide some advice regarding the matter of building a house on land i do not own, i am looking to jointly build a house on the land my girlfriend has just received from her parents. i would not expect them to just give me the land and for tax purposes it was a straight trasfer directly to their daughter. the house will be built by a joint mortgage between ourselves, but how do i stand in the future should anything unfortunately go wrong?

Perhaps they could let you have a long term lease. Lots of properties are on long term lease and pay a small ground rent and it does not cause a problem.

In most cases when arranging the mortgage she would do a transfer from her sole name into your joint names.

The reason for the above is

Should she die (before you are married) the property would pass to you. I imagine you'd rather not see your girlfriends family take possesion of your house.

Should you fall out, you have a interest in the property which would have to be bought out by her, either by way of agreement or by direction of the court.

the reason for the land not being transfered into my name is the amount of stamp duty i would have to pay, receiving a non family gift.if we were married now it would be easier, but that is not the case at the moment.

Back