Fully Comp To Claim or not To Claim

Flexible

Got a scrape on the car at the weekend along the back passenger door. It’s a 04 Corolla and it looks bad so it will have to be fixed. Don’t know how much it will cost ( possibly €600 ) but my question is this.

If I claim on my insurance (fully comp) how will the insurer claw back the money. In claiming do I just lose my no claims bonus or how does it work ?

My insurance at the moment is €550 and I think you have to pay the first €50 of a claim.

Some insurers allow you to make certain claims (e.g. damage sustained during an attempted theft) without losing your no claims bonus.

Call your insurance company. If you are going to lose all or a percentage of the NCB, it's easy enough to find out how much more you will pay over the next couple of years until you have full NCB again and compare that with the price of the repair.

Also bear in mind that many body shops charge far less if you are paying yourself.

If you have no claims bonus protection then you are most likely ok as you are allowed to claim up to 5000 euros without affecting your no claims on some policies. Best bet is to ring the insurance company and ask them. Then you will know for sure...

Don't forget, even if your NCB is protected, you may no longer be "claims free" when it comes to shopping around for your insurance next year.

Most insurance companies allow say 2 claims within a 3 year period to a total of say 10,000. The 3 year period starts on the date of the first accident. Say you have another claim of €10,000 within the time period, then in this instance you will lose your NCB.

Read the policy documentation very carefully.

Claiming on your insurance has been compared by people in the Industry to taking a loan out to compensate the other party except the APR cost is much higher than just getting a loan and paying for the repair yourself.

Dipole said:
Claiming on your insurance has been compared by people in the Industry to taking a loan out to compensate the other party except the APR cost is much higher than just getting a loan and paying for the repair yourself.

Would probably hold true for a 2/3/4 grand accidental damage claim, but definitely wouldn't if you're at fault and hit someone else's expensive motor OR if the other party is injured...

Back