FTB or Investor?

lane

I am considering buying my frist ever property as an investment property and know that it will be subject to stamp duty.
1. If my first purchase is an investment property, do I lose my status as a first time buyer/owner occupier in the future when I buy a property I intend to live in (ie will I have to pay stamp duty on this purchase) ?

2. Is it possible to claim VAT back on the purchase of an investment property and if so at what rate?

1. Yes.

2. You can claim all the VAT back, but you can only claim it against VAT that you subsequently charge someone else for. That is, you could charge your tenants VAT on top of their rent. However there are drawbacks to this.

To reiterate, yes, you will lose your FTB status, but if you subsequently purchase a new property with a floor area under 125 square metres as your PPR, you will avoid stamp duty (assuimg no change in legislation).

On the VAT issue, this thread may be of some use, and illustrates Howitzer's point on the drawbacks.

CCOVICH said:
On the VAT issue, this thread may be of some use, and illustrates Howitzer's point on the drawbacks.

That's the thread I was looking for. Very complicated area and not a route to go down without getting very thorough professional advise, not pub talk or forum opinion/conjecture. Especially for a first time buyer/investor.

Back