FTB - Affordable Solicitor Needed!!

foxi_fitzi

Hey all,

As you probably know by now, me and my partner are in the process of purchasing our first property, we are first time buyers and will need a solicitor.

As anyone in the same boat we are hoping to save anywhere we can.... too right 'every little helps' ;o)

I don't believe it's a big job for solicitor being FTB's, so if you know of an efficient solicitor who quotes a fair price, let me know!!

Thanks,

F

hi foxi fitzi, we are in same position ourselves. Are using Patrick Moran Solicitors based in Westland Row, off Pearse Street - definitely the most competitive quote we got was from him. You can get more details at [broken link removed] €900 is the flat fee for conveyancing

Competitive quote, but wouldn't return my calls at the 'shopping around' stage, so I went elsewhere.

As always, do not be guided by price alone.

foxi_fitzi said:
Hey all,

As you probably know by now, me and my partner are in the process of purchasing our first property, we are first time buyers and will need a solicitor.

As anyone in the same boat we are hoping to save anywhere we can.... too right 'every little helps' ;o)

I don't believe it's a big job for solicitor being FTB's, so if you know of an efficient solicitor who quotes a fair price, let me know!!

Thanks,

F

The fact that you're FTB's makes no difference to the difficulty or otherwise for a solicitor - in fact, I'd say sometimes FTBs require a good deal more handholding (having had my hand held a lot by my solicitor!) than someone who's been through the process before.

IMHO the whole house-buying process is stressful enough that you want to make sure you get a competent solicitor who you feel confident in - as CCOVICH said, price alone shouldn't be the sole criterion here.

We used First Credit on Baggot Street 2 years ago, and they had an offer for FTB of €690 solicitors fee. For that they did everything and provided you with a solicitor whos fee was set at €690 +VAT. The solicitor was great and First Credit were fantastic to deal with very friendly and always on hand for advice even recently I was able to ring and ask for some advice. We still use the solicitor appointed to us for other stuff as she was also great to deal with.
I'm not sure if they still have the same offer, they've grown considerably in the the last 2 years but no harm to give them a call.

Solicitors have been challenged to cut the cost of conveyencing after a mortgage agency started offering the service for just €690, considerably undercutting the others in the market. Dublin based First Credit said someone buying a house for €300 000.00 could save up to €2310 by availing of its promise to carry out the conveyancing work for only €690. The move throws down the competitive gauntlet to Solicitors.

Irish Independent 17 November 2003

I got this off their website www.firstcredit.ie

To confirm-do First Credit only offer this rate if you use them as your broker, or is it open to everyone?

Also-do you have any connection with First Credit?

Thanks guys,

I have emailed both firstcredit & lowcostlegal today, asking for a quote (all inclusive ie VAT & outlays), I will let you know how I get on.

If anyone else can recommend a fair priced/efficient solicitor, please let us know.

Question to COD: Would you mind telling me the name of the solicitor you said was very good from firstcredit?

Thanks a mil

F

Do bear in mind that €690 (which equates to just €570 plus VAT) is unlikely to be anything near the solicitor's actual fee in the above cases - it is likely that the broker is subsidising the solicitor by paying them part of the commission on the mortgage.

Back