Frustrating call handling. How do you manage yours?

Icarus

I've had a morning of non stop telephone calls and I'm really struck by the impression that is left about a company from how they handle their calls. I think that alot of managers/directors should cold call their own offices pretending to be someone else. Often the person redirecting and handling calls gives the impression that they can't wait to end the call ASAP. I know it's not top of the list of the worlds most satisfying jobs but I for one expect more from anyone working for me than what seems to be the norm in Ireland.

On the otherhand, the companies who do get it right really leave a positive impression. Simple things like being asked would you like to be forwarded to voice mail rather than being bounced around to suddenly get a recorded message and then having to redial and start all over again. And when you do that the telephone operator seems to be even more annoyed, it's like they thought they'd managed to get rid of you and now you've bloody well come back!

The companies I was on to covered a broad range so I don't think it relates to just certain industries. Has anyone else experienced this, even within their own company?

yep, rude people on phones does reflect badly on the company. they don't care cos they do it all day long.

Switchboard and reception operators don't tend to have access to who is in the office and who is not, other than knowing that a person is forwarded to voicemail.
At a busy switch, many operators can't wait to get rid of a caller because they would have up to 5 other calls waiting. By dispersing it to the voicemail system or admin staff then the other calls are responded to. Some companies use switchboard analysis software to see how calls are dealt with, how long people are left waiting etc.
As a rule of thumb, the best companies I have worked for operate a 3 ring policy for picking up calls. Voicemails changed everyday and being date specific, returned calls by COB and a friendly voice on the switch.
The worst use automated systems that tie you up in knots involving multiple choices and staff that don't know how to use the telephone systems!

I think the notion of 'customer service' is long gone. No-one gives a damn anymore.

If a phone operative is being rude or unhelpful I find asking for the person's name usually tends to revise their attitude somewhat ...

Think "real people" operators are bad ? Just try to get a helpline response from Eircom or NTL.

Back