Front Paving:Imprint Concrete v Cobble Lock Etc Suggestions

I am getting my driveway paved with resin bond later this month. Have spent time researching providers and agree with some of the comments here. One guy had a very legit website, apparently had a registered office address (which turned out to be a vague location in West Dublin) but when he showed up to give me a quote the van he was in had a totally different 'company paving' name on it and he was definitely not someone I wanted to deal with.

The company I'm going with have very good reviews, provided me with a written quote and their insurance policy details also when I requested them, and have regular updates of their work on their social media which looks very good. Guy also showed up in the same named company van! :) Communication with him has been very good all along.

Resin driveways don't appear to be around that long so it's hard to say what the wearing of them will be like but they look great and I'm happy to go with this over imprint concrete which I had considered first. I will report back if people are interested once it's done!

Edited to add I looked him and his company up on vision net and all names, addresses etc match, in addition to those on the insurance details.

Grass or Sedum paving is another option - a variety of reinforced grids that give the stability for parking while allowing soakage and grass growth throughout the area.

I'm looking into it as an alternative option to paving or gravel for a parking space, I found the following company through a search (no connection to it), but interested to hear of any other Irish suppliers offering similar and people's experiences with it.

Is this plastic or real grass, or both?

We have a gravel driveway. Love it. A quick rake twice a year and it is completely refreshed.

Is this plastic or real grass, or both?
There's a few options, generally some form of plastic or concrete honeycomb grid that gives a water-permeable structure that supports a car while enabling grasses (or sedum or whatever) to grow through. You can also use them to support gravel on a slope.

I am getting my driveway paved with resin bond later this month. Have spent time researching providers and agree with some of the comments here. One guy had a very legit website, apparently had a registered office address (which turned out to be a vague location in West Dublin) but when he showed up to give me a quote the van he was in had a totally different 'company paving' name on it and he was definitely not someone I wanted to deal with.

The company I'm going with have very good reviews, provided me with a written quote and their insurance policy details also when I requested them, and have regular updates of their work on their social media which looks very good. Guy also showed up in the same named company van! :) Communication with him has been very good all along.

Resin driveways don't appear to be around that long so it's hard to say what the wearing of them will be like but they look great and I'm happy to go with this over imprint concrete which I had considered first. I will report back if people are interested once it's done!

Edited to add I looked him and his company up on vision net and all names, addresses etc match, in addition to those on the insurance details.
Peppermint, I'd be really interested in how the resin driveway works out. In thinking of getting my front garden done later this year. It's just flat concrete now. Do you mind letting me know how much its costing you?

I love the look of the resin stuff but there is a portion of the car park in our local Lidl which is just a few years old done with the resin, it isn't even being driven on, it's just part of the walking area as such and there are chunks coming out of it There is kind of a big triangle out front and in the centre area between paths it's resin bond, I noticed when I was last walking past there that it was damaged in a few places, don't know what is doing it, whether deliberately or what!

AJ1 I will report back. We have half concrete and half grass right now, don't have the exact sqm on me now but it's costing €7.5k for the full garden and drive (semi detached house) to be done in resin, adding steps to front door and edging, removing existing shrubbery and front wall. From the few quotes I've gotten its not the cheapest or most expensive, but as I said before I was happy to go with these.

There's a few options, generally some form of plastic or concrete honeycomb grid that gives a water-permeable structure that supports a car while enabling grasses (or sedum or whatever) to grow through. You can also use them to support gravel on a slope.
The thing I like about this, is that the more people have their gardens paved over, the higher the risk of flooding in times of heavy rain. Having a water permeable structure means that the earth can absorb the excess water.

Getting quotes now and wow not the cheapest and going with pebble lock. Need to ask installer about drainage

bro in law recommended we get some Block Paving Sealer something like the below

https://www.smartseal.ie/sealers/block-paving-sealer/

However his pavement down a while so he used it to frighten it up etc and remove all the moss etc from growing

We have not started yet but wondering is it best to lay this sealer after its been laid down or give it a year or so before applying?

Going to ask installer but just wondering if anyone has used this or something similar

Hi there, happy to report back we got the driveway done this week and we are delighted with it. I can pass on the company we used if anyone would like. Lads were there over 2 days, dug out garden and laid tarmac first day then back with the resin. You can't walk on it for 24 hours or park on it for 48 hours after. Anyway we are delighted with it and would recommend those lads. Cost us €7.5k for 50sqm garden, removing wall and digging out grass part. New granite step too at the front door too which looks great.

Got 3 quotes(reputable recommended by suppliers) and going with the Block Paving and working out €5k+

Visited Tobermore to have a look at options and this was useful. Also speaking to others in our area who got it done

Only problem is everyone is getting their back or front done so wait time is long

We had our driveway plus 10 -12 feet around the side and back done with imprinted concreted almost ten years ago and are very happy with it. Both our cars are parked there all the time with family members when they visit regularly. It looks a bit weathered but it still looks natural that way.
Tips:-
  • Make sure to go the extra mile and do the kerbing imprint on the edges
  • Put a colour (choose carefully) in the mix or you will have a very white driveway
  • Just one coat of seal unless you want the high shine look (very artificial)
  • Never put salt on it to melt the show
  • Do not over clean, just brush off as required

Back