Front of multiple car collision

Hi
Like the above, I have also recentily been rear ended by another car, my fault in the situation would be zero, and no one was injured (good thing).
Garda reports and witness details, photographs notes were made just incase anyone tried to change the record of what happened. I wanted to waste as little time on the incident .But what really buggs me and I can see from the above that others have encountered the issue that when reporting an incident to ones own insurer (required) that they attempted to process the incident as a claim against my own policy.

In my case the incident was small enough, but I am silentily screaming at this insanity, my own insurer is meant to be on myside ?
It should not be their aim to try and take the easiest way out. Yes they are in the business of making money, but they are meant to be providing a service also which has been paid for ?

I realise no one else above mentioned their insurrer in the previous messages, but it would seem like an insurrers common practice to first attempt to process an incident as a claim on the person reporting the incident. Is it possible to start a poll naming and shaming the insurrers
who attempt to do this ?

Sylvester. If you have comprehensive Insurance, your Insurance Company should have advised you to go ahead and get your car fixed -- end of story. As for the fellow in front of you, you didn't hit him so why bring him into the foray. The Golden rule is that if you are hit behind it is always the driver of the car behinds fault - end of story. It is up to the Insurance Co to sort the matters out, but these things do take time. They have thousands of claims ongoing at any one time. But comprehensive Insurance should take the sting out of it. If they are acting in a negligent manner, write to the Insurance Federation who deal with these type of things, but remember the accident only happened on 2nd.December.

The other insurance companies have finally agreed their liabilities on this matter - splitting the cost between them 3 ways. This doesn't make any sense to me as surely the SUV which hit me did far more damage than the compact car that struck him, but at least they are paying my insurance company now. I got the 1st third of my excess back and am just waiting for the other two checks now. It took over 3 months for them to finally come to that resolution though! I'm glad my renewal is towards the end of the year, so my NCB should be reinstated by then.

The reason the companies do this is to allow you to get your car fixed ASAP. The alternative is to wait 3 months as per the OPs case in order to get all the other insurance companies to settle up.
So when you have an incident like that the choice is yours. Report it to your insurance co as a claim and let them go after the person who hit you. This means you can get your car fixed right away.
The other alternative is to report it and state that you are doing so for report purposes only. Then pursue the other insurers separatly and wait 3 months for a settlement.
The reason the insurance co will treat it as a claim (if you get them to pay out and go after third party) is they are relying on you telling the truth. They weren't there and son't knw who was at fault. Why would they pay out and leave your bonus intact and pay the excess on your word only.
I'm sure that they often have cases where people insist they are not at fault when they are or it goes 50/50. How would they recover money paid/premium in those instances? Look around AAM. There are numerous threads of people in incidents where they believe the third party is at fault and the third party doesn't think so.

By the way on the courtesy car issue, your insurance co only has to provide you with a courtesy car if you are claiming off your own insurance. If you are claiming off a third party you hire your car and bill them for it.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge that at this stage. I know people that have had car accidents, thought they were fine and 6 months later started getting back problems that can take years of physio/massage/alternative therapy to sort out. I'm not saying it will happen, but it might.

I have to agree with this - I was in a rear end collision in January and felt more or less okay until a couple of weeks after when I had pain in my lower neck & shoulders. Luckily, it only took 3 sessions of physio to sort it out, but I'd be very wary of telling the insurers that you feel fine.

I have to agree with this - I was in a rear end collision in January and felt more or less okay until a couple of weeks after when I had pain in my lower neck & shoulders. Luckily, it only took 3 sessions of physio to sort it out, but I'd be very wary of telling the insurers that you feel fine.

What do you suggest one does then? If you feel fine after an accident (and 3 months after an accident) how does one connect the incident to any future spinal problems? Do you tell the insurance company "I'll get back to you in three years time to tell you if I'm injured.."?

I wonder will VHI start refusing to pay for treatment of these "prior conditions", as seems to be their habit of late.

What do you suggest one does then? If you feel fine after an accident (and 3 months after an accident) how does one connect the incident to any future spinal problems? Do you tell the insurance company "I'll get back to you in three years time to tell you if I'm injured.."?

You currently have two years from the date of an accident or when you realised you were injured to make a personal injuries claim.

Back