Friends baby born stillborn. She cannot work. Any Social Welfare Financial Help ?

senni

Hi

My beautiful friend gave birth to her full term perfect little baby son in July 2022 in Dublin. He was born still born at 8lbs and went straight to heaven. She had no complications in her pregnancy and cannot cope with going back working at present. He was perfect, so perfect. Life can be cruel.

She worked for three years after completing her degree prior to becoming pregnant with this little boy and left her job as she had relocated back down the country. She is distraught and is just not able to look for new work at this present time and her GP concurs. She has a partner( not married ) and a three year old little girl together. He earns roughly €40,000 and is keeping the three of them going but its very tough financially on them. She has used up her 9 months not means tested unemployment income.

Q. Can she claim any other social welfare income for health reasons? I suppose it will need to be " not means tested as her partner works" She is not able to look for new work as she has just lost her perfect little baby and is lost, so lost. She is focusing on her little girl and punching in the days, until she receives the official autopsy report which they tell her could take up to 18mths. Her GP or Hospital consultant can sign or do any letter that is required by social welfare. As you can imagine she is worried about the increasing mortgage rates, energy costs and the cost of living, while grieving the loss of her little perfect bundle of joy( that she should be holding in her arms now and not up visiting him in a cold cemetery)

My heart is broke for her and I'm trying to see if she can get any financial help from the state in any way shape or form.

This lady is such a kind hearted soul and she has been dealt an unbelievable blow.

Can anyone advise me on anything to help this couple financially?

Thanking you all in advance

Any use?
Social welfare benefits are linked to PRSI contributions and are not means tested. Social welfare allowances are means tested.

With (presumably) only 3 years of PRSI contributions she may not qualify for benefits especially if she's used up her 9 months jobseeker's benefit (?).

She should probably just contact SW and ask them what, if anything, she's entitled to. They are very helpful in my experience.

This might also be worth checking:

Last edited:
Thats heartbreaking to read.. what an incredibly traumatic situation.

Here are some suggestions that you could look into on her behalf
- Lone parents. I wasnt clear if she moved down the country just herself and other child. If not living together with partner, she may be entitled to Lone Parents Allowance til her child reaches 7 years of age
- Disability Allowance is a means tested payment and if living with her partner his income would be taken into account. The application process can be extremely stressful so might be worth calling citizens advice first.
- WFP (previously FIS) if living together as a family and again this is means tested based on size of family
- Tax credits . If living together look into whether there are increased tax credits in relation to home carer that he can claim to increase his take home pay
- Exceptional needs payment. I know there are some bereavement grants in place however Im not sure about this situation. They may be able to request an exceptional needs payment however I would imagine this may be extremely stressful.

I hope that your friend and family get some financial support so that they can focus on the grieving process and any counselling and other supports.

Hi Senni,
I am so sorry for your friends awful loss.
You didn't mention in your post about maternity benefit. Your friend will still get 26 weeks maternity benefit, if she has not claimed this yet and has worked for three years.
Citizens advice might be able to advise on other avenues to support for her family.

Back