friend trying to get cheap insurance

blueshoes

hi, a friend of mine has just bought a polo 1litre. She is nearly 18. Her mum and dad have being looking around for insurance for her all getting 1800, 2000. They have tryed quinn direct, brittons, cant remember who else. Her mum rang quinn direct to see if it would be any cheaper for her if either her mum/or dad was insured and her then as 1st named driver. They both have passats 1.9 i think. Anyways and they told her it would work out at the same price because of there engine size. then she told her to ring axa. They wouldnt give her a quote.

Is there anyone else they could try?

has a fixed cost policy of approx €950-1000 or so, but has an excess of €2000-4000 depending on circumstances.

That's about as good a premium as she'll get imho.

I'd advise her to apply for her test right now. Getting that may help.

She's very young, has little or no driving experience, and is in a high risk category.

Maybe she should try Hibernian Insurance

[broken link removed]

If she sits and passes the Ignition course, this could lead to significant premium savings. Think the course costs 225 euro though.

Yes the course does cost €225 but if you pass you get a full refund. Another trick that both myself and my partner used was I put him down as a name driver on my policy and he put me down on as a name driver on his. It brought both of our policies down just over €100 euros each. Also I got a discount because I already had himself with the same company so I got a family discount. I think it was about 5%.

Sounds like a good price for a 17 year old - if she is 'almost 18', can she wait until she's 18 to get the car and insurance? - may make a difference. If her mum and dad both have cars, no insurance company will give her a cheaper price because it will be very obvious that she is the main driver and the premium will be based on her details.

it is illegal to insure in one name and have car registered in another. it will cause problems in the event of a claim. insurance is written on the basis of good faith on behalf of proposer and insurer.

Ravima said:
it is illegal to insure in one name and have car registered in another. it will cause problems in the event of a claim. insurance is written on the basis of good faith on behalf of proposer and insurer.
What the poster suggested isn't illegal. You can be a named driver on as many policies as you want. What you can't do is be listed as the primary driver on a car you're not the primary driver of.

my understanding was that 'FRIEND' owns the car but wants to insure it in 'MUMS' name. This is illegal. if i have misread situation, apologies.

I don't think it's illegal but it would go against the 'utmost good faith' principle that insurance is based on and would probably invalidate the insurance contract.

you should try Sertus Insurance, - Boyle Insurance Services in Boyle is a agent for them. His phone number is 071-9664444. I think other insurance brokers around the country give quotes for them Google Sertus and you will get other numbers around the county.

hi, thanks for the replies, I think she is just going to forget about the polo that she bought and be a named driver on her dad's car. Is it wrong that the tax book will be in her name even though the car wont be on the road

Back