FRENCH PROPERTY: WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: French Property

Hi Su,
Could you just tell us how irish people could manage to buy a property in France without getting any help from an estate agent or even a management company ?
Do you mean for those who don't speak French ?
Thanks

Pierre

Re: French Property

Begod Pierre, you don't hang about, do you? From thinking about setting up your business to actually launching in just 15 days including a bank holiday weekend, that's fast.

I suspect you were playing a little "softly softly catchee monkey" with us. No matter, good luck with it and I will be emailing you.

Slim 8)

French Real EstateProperty

Its all part of the enjoyment of investing Pierre. As always, to some of us, middlemen are optional extras.

Re: French Real EstateProperty

Brilliant article in Saturday's Financial Times on French leasebacks which are currently being heavily promoted in the UK. One interesting angle in that a number of prestigious London estate agencies (incl Knight Frank) do not "touch them with a bargepole" as it were as they question the entire feasibility of such investments.

French Leaseback property

Tommy,

Could you post a link to the article in Saturday's Financial Times on Leasebacks as i'm having trouble tracking it down.. Thanks

Re: French Leaseback property

I can't as the FT web service is subscription-only. I read the article on a newspaper copy.

French Leaseback property

Thanks anyway Tommy...
Has anyone else out there access to a copy of the article..?? I'd love to read it..
Tommy, can you remember the main points addressed in the article and what conclusions, if any, they came to..

Hi Bill

From memory, I can't really do justice to the FT article but it did point out the following:

1. The schemes are complicated, more so than many people realise. For example, the properties are generally let through commercial leases which are more restrictive from the investor's viewpoint than normal residential leases. It appears also that management companies can re-assign leases without the owner's knowledge, meaning that you can sign up with a reputable company and end up dealing with a fly-by-night.

2. the tax benefits attaching to them really only are of any use if you hold the property for a considerable number of years.

3. Expert opinion is divided as to whether they are worthwhile at all. As I said above, some UK estate agents refuse to handle them.

Please dont take this as any sort of accurate summary of the article as when I read it I didn't expect to be asked to summarise its key points. I do think that if you are considering investing in any such scheme you would be wise to spend €100 on an FT subscription to locate this and similar FT articles. You will get a level of critical analysis and (seemingly) independent comment that is streets ahead of most of the advertorial guff that passes for property journalism in this country.

Frenchleaseback

Also can anyone recommend a Irish based Solicitor firm that speaks french who could give me the independant legal advice everyone is suggesting.

Re: Frenchleaseback

Pierre,

Do you have an update for us on this ?

Regards

Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back