French Campsite - No Refund

SimianB

Hi, hope I can get some quick advice.

I booked a campsite in France, had the foresight to take out insurance with a cancellation clause inclusive of force majeure - i.e. Pandemic.

Naturally I can't / have not travelled so I contacted the campsite ahead of time and they offered me a voucher in lieu - no option for a refund.

They cited a local law that was added by the French government post the advent of COVID.

My insurance company advises 'working with the provider' and
Unfortunately your travel insurance does not cover refundable costs or travel vouchers/credit notes from your travel provider.

I also further read that I should be entitled to a full refund if I don't use said voucher after 18 months.

Can anyone confirm that is the case or what my options are? My french is non existent!

Its the same story with all booking for center parcs in France/Belgium/Holland (which are all owned by a French company). My understanding is that French government passed legislation allowing vouchers only so as to protect the industry. (which you can see the logic of as they would go out of business if they had to refund everyone). I had Easter holiday booked for center parcs in Holland, now have a voucher that I can use anytime until september 2021 and if not used by then, it can be cashed in. Personally, I'm ok with that arrangement but might not work in your sitaution.

Another option you have is to go on the holiday. Is a family holiday not after all an essential part of life. I can most assuredly tell you France is open for tourists.

Another option you have is to go on the holiday. Is a family holiday not after all an essential part of life. I can most assuredly tell you France is open for tourists.
Is this a serious response? We are being asked not to travel. France is not on the Green list of countries either.

They will just have to quarantine upon return.
Not being on the green list does not mean a ban on travelling to that country.

Back