Freelance writing for newspapers

S

shnaek

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there is a journal or website out there which gives you help getting into the freelance market in Ireland.
What is involved in getting a column, for example, like the Irishmans Diary, or I SPY, or Mary Kennys column in the weekender?
Do you simply mail articles to the editors of the papers?

Thanks for the help!

For most of those columns I think the main qualification is to be a boorish, opinionated, dimwit and/or a professional controversialist. Might apply meself!

It's quite difficult, usually would have to oitch ideas to editor or opinion editor beforehand. If you go to the trouble of writing something there is no gauruntee you'll get it published after a lot of work.

Depending on your situation you could try more open access publications free sheets, student mags etc. and build up a portfolio, or do what I'm doing a community radio programme. All very time consuming though for no immediate return

My brother started freelancing for newspapers in the name of his company... I'm not sure if your company work lies in the area where you would like to freelance, but you could be able to approach it from that angles eg. "Mr. Blogg from company Landsacpe Designs"

I Spy

For most of those columns I think the main qualification is to be a boorish, opinionated, dimwit and/or a professional controversialist

emmm... reminds me of I Spys Ian O' Doterty so much... I can't stand that colume!

Back