Free Travel Autism/Aspergers teen

dubdub123

Hi,
my son has just recently been awarded disability allowance.
Ive read that he is eligible for free travel. He already has PSC and ive read that an updated one will be sent to him stating free travel.

He has not used public transport alone and can get overwhelmed and experience difficulties asking for support.
Im considering applying for Companion for him so I could travel with him, but i would hope that eventually he would take some trips alone.

If he applies for the companion pass, does this mean he MUST have someone with him at all times? The worst scenario here would be that he could get pulled up by an inspector if he is alone, and might be very stressful situation. I would absolutely not want to introduce any issues. Ideally if i could travel with him on luas or bus and help him build up skills, then let him take one way journey if that makes sense and meet him at destination separately to try build up his skillset.

Any guidance appreciated thanks

Hi dubdub123, a companion pass allows a 2nd person to travel with you but it's not a requirement to have someone else with you. He would be able to use it on his own. Wishing you the best.

Hi dubdub123, a companion pass allows a 2nd person to travel with you but it's not a requirement to have someone else with you. He would be able to use it on his own. Wishing you the best.

thank you so much really appreciate the response on this.

I contacted the free travel pass section and my sons card is being issued but its just for himself.

The person I spoke with said that sometimes they make the decision to include companion at that point, but in his case they didnt but he can apply for companion travel pass by having GP complete a form.

If you go as carers for him you will get a travel pass in your own right so you can travel with him.
Thank you but unfortunately I dont think I would fall into that category as I work fulltime and need to maintain that for quite some time. I just got a form today about companion pass, so i will take a look through that and see what's involved. Thank you

Back