Free to Air TV.

Coolaboy

Fed up paying for Sky TV. Has anybody got in a Free to Air package. I was talking to an installer who will put in a free to air package for 250.00 euro that will supply the Uk chanells ( 70 channells in Total.) The 250.00 is a once off fee. Anybody taken this package yet.

I worked for Sky last winter for a few months and installed the free to air system myself. The channels I get are BBC1-4,ITV1-4,SKY News,Men and Motors,and a few more,mostly shopping and promotion channells,doubt if it comes to 75 but may well do.

If you already have Sky just take out you card and what channels that remain are the channels that are fta. These channels are free to air so there is no "package".

Assuming you do not have an existing satelite setup...if you are being quoted €250, why not join Sky directly and go into a years contract for around €26/month, which will cost you about €312 for a years viewing of their "pay" channels, you can always pull the plug once the year is up.
For around €60, you'll get a years viewing of their "pay" channels.

Second that - just cancel your sky subscription. You keep the dish and can receive the free channels.

Hi Guys,

I had sky but disconnected it last year. Was still left with a good selection of channels for free plus i tuned in all the ITV channels, Film four, BBC 3 & 4 and a few others myself which cost me nothing at the end of the day! My question is i can't seem to tune in Channel 5. Has anyone had any experience of actually successfully tuning in this channel?

Regards,

Jockey

You need an UK card (Yellow house) for ch5 (there are now 3 ch5s), Ch4 and Sky3.

Alternatively, is there any advantage in getting one of Lidl's cheap & cheerful satellite dishes for about €100 (when they come up) and can you then get all the "free to air" Sky channels, or must they be sourced via a Sky satellite dish? Excuse my ignorance!

You can buy a Yellow House Card [broken link removed].

I wouldn't recommend buying one from eBay as they have a habit of being cancelled after a few weeks!!

I bought mine on the site above months ago and apart from having to leave it in the box for 24 hours on receipt, I have had no problems with it. Provides me with my racing fix every saturday!!

Second that - just cancel your sky subscription. You keep the dish and can receive the free channels.

Ok you keep the dish but what about the Sky digibox, I assume that goes back to Sky? What kind of box do you buy and where to replace the sky box?

Nope, you keep the box as well. You have a fully functional FTA system when you cancel your sky sub after your initial 12 month contract. All the equipment becomes yours after the 12 month contract expires.

You will need a cancelled UK Yellow House card for C4, C5 and Sky 3 (See link above to purchase), but you will recieve all the bbc's and ITV's, sky news etc without any card.

sky are offering half price (€11) for three months for fairly basic package and then reverts to full price. 3x11=33 +9x22 =198 total €232 for 12 months. If I signed up to them now and cancelled in 12 months ( and purchased that yellow card thingy) would this work out ok. rte, tv3 and tng I presume are off a seperate signal at that stage? any recommendations for paying this years sub ie loath to give direct debit details as they might keep collecting and deny cancellation? can you pay by other means?

The yellow card seems to give Channel 4 which Sky doesn't - if I subscribe to Sky can I buy one of these yellow cards and use both so I can get the Sky channels and also Channel 4?

The yellow card seems to give Channel 4 which Sky doesn't - if I subscribe to Sky can I buy one of these yellow cards and use both so I can get the Sky channels and also Channel 4?

You will only be able to use 1 card at a time.

Hi

I have set up a free to air system and am receiving all the bbc's e.t.c. and was hoping to cancel NTL. The only problem is the wife can't handle losing channel 4. I have read the threads above and am interested in the yellow house card.

Will a normal free to air decoder do with a slot for a card or does it have to be a sky digibox?

Or is there a compatable decoder I could buy ?.

Excuse my ignorance , i am new to all this satellite stuff.

Hi

I have set up a free to air system and am receiving all the bbc's e.t.c. and was hoping to cancel NTL. The only problem is the wife can't handle losing channel 4. I have read the threads above and am interested in the yellow house card.

Will a normal free to air decoder do with a slot for a card or does it have to be a sky digibox?

Or is there a compatable decoder I could buy ?.

Excuse my ignorance , i am new to all this satellite stuff.

some of the better (dreambox) decoders will read a sky card.. but most won't...

Thanks For The reply , where can you buy a dreambox and are they difficult to setup? in other words do you just plug it in and insert the card?

Thanks for the reply. where can i buy a dreambox are they expensive and is it just a matter of plugging it in and inserting the card?

Back