"free" item on website

D

dscanlon

hi all,

just checking on the legality of something here, so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

i've found a product that i'm looking to purchase on an irish website. the item is listed for 0.00 Eur. this price persists right up to the point where i submit my credit card details for payment, as it were :)

the only caveat i can see is that on the lsiting page for the item, the words "coming soon" are displayed. if i go ahead and buy the item for nothing, will the company have to honour the purchase at the advertised price?

looking forward to your responses :)

What have you got to lose by ordering it? :D
Let us know if it gets delivered, and the URL.

well, it's pricey, and i can prolly get it cheaper elsewhere. i just want to make sure they can't turn around and say, "well, actually you owe us X"...

:)

In any case I've heard of before of items being accidentally mispriced like this (apparently it's a regular occurrence on the Apple store website?), the orders are simply cancelled and the money refunded (if any has been paid). The erroneous offer is an "invitation to treat" and is not binding on the merchant. If the words "coming soon" are displayed, that would suggest that the website listing will be updated, presumably when actual stock numbers are known.

Go ahead and try, by all means! :D
I doubt very much that you'll get the item for free, but I'm also pretty sure they can't, as you say, turn around and say, "you owe us X".

Watch out for the carriage if this is been posted or are collecting

hi all,

just checking on the legality of something here, so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

i've found a product that i'm looking to purchase on an irish website. the item is listed for 0.00 Eur. this price persists right up to the point where i submit my credit card details for payment, as it were :)

the only caveat i can see is that on the lsiting page for the item, the words "coming soon" are displayed. if i go ahead and buy the item for nothing, will the company have to honour the purchase at the advertised price?

looking forward to your responses :)

What have you got to lose by ordering it? :D
Let us know if it gets delivered, and the URL.

I must admit this doubting Thomas here would be very reluctant to give my credit card details for such a transaction unless it were from a very reputable company.

Back