"Free flights" costs involved?

Broadcaster

I have the Aer credit card with Bank of Ireland and qualified for two free flights last year which obviously due to Covid I could not use. However I they are still valid so I Recently booked two seats to Berlin and paid the taxes and charges of €208. I then paid for a check in bag (€40). However I can't seem to get an answer to the query do I also now have to pay for carry on luggage?

Has anyone used the "free flights"? Does anyone know if I have to pay for a carry on case. I don't want to arrive at the airport and be landed with excess charges.

It appears that Aer lingus uses an agency for this type of booking and it is like ringing the moon trying to get on to them! I'm hoping someone on this site might be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

One would assume free means no money is paid but wait,you pay taxes & charges,checked in bag,so I would assume you'll pay for a cabin bag too.but wait it's free flight.how much would a normal flight cost too Berlin ? Maybe cheaper than the above

Don't know how those free flights work but you are being fleeced if you are paying 208 in taxes and charges. I can book a cheaper flight on the Aer Lingus website.

Think AL have changed or are going to change hand baggage rules. You can pay to carry on a 10kg bag or you can check it in for free. You will still be allowed one carry on item like a handbag etc.

As said above, price your flights on the website to what exactly you are getting with your 'free' flights.

Yes, the taxes and charges are very high, However, I did do my homework before taking the "free flights". The costs of two flights to Berlin in August works out at €530 so even paying the taxes and charges, there is still a saving. However, I'm still in the dark as to whether I also have to pay to bring hand luggage into the cabin!. I'll keep calling this number that takes up to 40 mins to be answered and hope someone there can provide the answer!

Back