former employer in liquidation - pension fund in deficit

benny fitt

What protection does a pensioner have if their former employer folds and the occupational pension scheme is underfunded

Underfunded pension DB schemes were fairly common in the last recession and most were converted to DC schemes resulting in a loss for people who were due to retire at that time. You should contact the administrators of the scheme and ask for your options.

The order of priority when a fund is wound up is existing pensioners, deferred pensioners and employees - in that order, I think

Is it a DC fund or a DB fund?

The order of priority when a fund is wound up is existing pensioners, deferred pensioners and employees - in that order, I think

Is it a DC fund or a DB fund?

Pensioners priority up to €12000 only. No increases. There is no differentiation between deferred and active members. They get treated the same.

Different rules apply when the employer is also insolvent ( assuming that is the case with the liquidation) - double insolvency.
The state gets involved in funding part of it if necessary.
Pensioners ( i.e. anyone with a pension in payment from the scheme fund) will still be covered 100% up to €12000/annum. Some other rules for how pension increases are treated.

Back