Form 12 request from revenue

No, that’s for local property tax ...completely different..

We are talking about the tax on selling assets ..CGT, you could check to see if they filed that for you too but I doubt it..

No, I printed an online statement of my property tax account for the sale

There was various property tax items that the Solictors would have to clear .. In any event that’s not for CGT.

Ask your Solictors to see if they filed it. Otherwise you will have to file CGT return.

Then why did he require utility bills for certain years going back to 1999 For proof of primary residence?

Well ask him!!!!! I’m not a mind reader... I’ve said what I think he was asking for.. for non Capital Gains Tax reasons , possibly to prove NPPR wasn’t applicable and get clearance. did you ask him/pay him to file the CGT.. all this for the sake of 2 figures to be put on a form!!!!

I’ve helped as best I can ...

If you think the CGT is filed, grand.. it’s your return, your responsibility..

Last edited:
Yes it sounds like NPPR. Also there was another tax that lasted only one year. Household charge (HC) I think it was called. So for all property transactions a solicitor will be looking to see that NPPR, HC and property tax are in order.

CGT

It seems on a PPR you’re supposed to file something, and claim the exemption free CGT because it’s a PPR. But you don’t do this on the Form 12, which does not have the exemption box. So it’s a different Firm. But if you don’t not file it, nothing will happen. I suspect most people do not file it. I wonder what revenue do with the firms they do receive. What administrative task they do.

But for this neither your solicitor or the purchasers require anything.

If you fail to file a return, you are technically guilty of an offence. The practical implications of so doing in this case are unclear to the point that you'd hardly be prosecuted nor lose your PPR exemption on foot of something like that, but @Deiseblue's advice was correct.
What offense would that be?

Thanks though for confirming that you won’t be prosecuted if you do not file it ! But more importantly you won’t lose the PPR exemption.

What offense would that be?
:rolleyes: Er..., failing to file a return.

Thanks though for confirming that you won’t be prosecuted if you do not file it !

Please don't put words in my mouth. Read my post more carefully and you'll notice that I actually confirmed nothing. And even if I purported to do so, I have no authority to confirm that any breach of law won't be prosecuted by the relevant authority.

Have you ever heard of anybody being prosecuted for not filing a CFG form for a PPR that is exempt?
No. Hence my suggestion (not confirmation) that any given individual is hardly likely to be prosecuted for such a failure.

Hi,
I have also received request to fill in Form 12 for 2017. My only income is from my employment + interest from savings account.

Could you please help me with the following:

1. DIRT
There are 3 sections to fill in:
Gross Interest received on which DIRT was not deducted
Gross Interest received on which DIRT was deducted @39%
Gross interest received from Special Savings Account(s)

Should I only fill in "Gross Interest received on which DIRT was deducted @39%" ? All DIRT has been deducted by the bank directly, I don't know what is Special Savings Account?

2. Benefit in kind
I have pension contributions and medical insurance from my employer.
Should I include these numbers in Form 12? What would be the proper section for pension and medical insurance?

I have checked the figures from form P60 and they are correct.
Is there anything else? I don't have any other income.

Thank you in advance :)

1. DIRT
There are 3 sections to fill in:
Gross Interest received on which DIRT was not deducted
Gross Interest received on which DIRT was deducted @39%
Gross interest received from Special Savings Account(s)

Should I only fill in "Gross Interest received on which DIRT was deducted @39%" ? All DIRT has been deducted by the bank directly, I don't know what is Special Savings Account?
"Gross Interest received on which DIRT was deducted @39%" will be correct if the bank has deducted DIRT.

2. Benefit in kind
I have pension contributions and medical insurance from my employer.
Should I include these numbers in Form 12? What would be the proper section for pension and medical insurance?
Are you making extra pension contributions outside of your payroll?
If you are, you include them in the 'Additional Voluntary Contributions' part under 'Your job' in the tax credits page.
If not, you don't need to include them anywhere, the taxable pay figure from your P60 will take them into account.

The BIK for the medical insurance should be taken into account in your P60 figures. You should be due a tax credit in the 'Health' part of the tax credits page though.

Thank you for your help.

Could you help me where is the tax credit part I should fill in?

There is a part "Tax Credits" where it states:

Medical Insurance Relief
€1,000.00

I should confirm this?

and also under Health there is: Income Continuance - do I need to put Medical Insurance amount ?

There is a part "Tax Credits" where it states:

Medical Insurance Relief
€1,000.00

I should confirm this?
Yes.

and also under Health there is: Income Continuance - do I need to put Medical Insurance amount ?
Income continuance is different to medical insurance. If you have to give up work because of illness, an income continuance policy will pay you a percentage of your income. If you're paying for this as well, put the details in there, otherwise leave it blank.

Back