foreign motor tax

B

BRIANBRIAN20

hey there, i am workin out of the country for over 8 months of the year on a ship. can you tell me what the situation is on me bringing in a car to ireland from england, if im a non-resident which is what im classed as now,i think, do i still have to get it registered in ireland and pay import tax on the car. Thanks for the help im pretty clueless on this stuff.

BRIANBRIAN20 said:
hey there, i am workin out of the country for over 8 months of the year on a ship. can you tell me what the situation is on me bringing in a car to ireland from england, if im a non-resident which is what im classed as now,i think, do i still have to get it registered in ireland and pay import tax on the car. Thanks for the help im pretty clueless on this stuff.
As far as I know, the exemption on VRT only applies to those who can prove that they have owned the car at a residential address outside the country, and Customs are pretty tough about enforcing this rule.

you do not need to pay VRT if you have owned the car for 6 months before you bring it into ireland. You have to be able to prove this

The trick with this one:

You must prove ownership of the vehicle 6 months previous to you moving to Ireland permanently.

For tax purposes you also have to have been resident elsewhere.

Then you can "move" to Ireland and take advantage of the fact that you have owned your vehicle for the last six months and bring it to Ireland with you.

Anything else I think, would be looked at unfavourably.

When I came back I brought my car & bike back (bike came in removal van so I had no proof of when I brought it in to the country and also no insurance to ride it to the Tax office) I had all sorts of grief - letters from the school to prove when I registered my children there etc. etc.

The revenue is red hot on this sort of thing - shame about their disproportionate ability and vigour in taxing the big earners!

Back